Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Local governance in India.
New Delhi : Oxford University Press, 2006
|Material Type:||Conference publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Niraja Gopal Jayal; Amit Prakash; Pradeep K Sharma; Jawaharlal Nehru University. Centre for the Study of Law and Governance.
|Notes:||Includes statistical tables.|
|Description:||xiii, 426 p. ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Introduction / Niraja Gopala Jayal --
2. Selection by custom and election by statute : interfaces in local governance in Karnataka / Kripa Ananth Pur --
3. Van Panchayats in Uttaranchal / Ashok Kumar --
4. Writers' building and the reality of decentralized rural power : some paradoxes and reversals in West Bengal / Dwaipayan Bhattacharyya --
5. Panchayats, bureaucracy, and poverty alleviation in Uttar Pradesh / Ravi S. Srivastava --
6. Decentralization and disease control programmes : the case of filariasis / Rama V. Baru and Meena Gopal --
7. The new segregation in primary education : implications for local governance / Vimala Ramachandra and Aarti Saihjee --
8. Crisis of governance and people's alternatives : schooling system in some villages of Western UP / Jagpal Singh --
9. People-centred development and participatory urban governance : the Mumbai experience / Marina R. Pinto --
10. Urban futures of poor groups in Chennai and Bangalore : how these are shaped by the relationships between parastatals and local bodies / Solomon Benjamin and R. Bhuvaneswari --
11. Developing a quantitative framework for determining devolution of funds from the state government to local bodies / Ajit Karnik, Abhay Pethe and Dilip Karmarkar --
12. Urban local bodies and district administration : an empirical examination of some issues relating to urban water supply in Karnataka / K. P. Krishnan --
13. Mainstreaming gender in district plants in Madhya Pradesh / Anwar Jafri and Vikas Singh --
14. Accountability in local governance : infrastructure development in the industrial townships of Faridabad and Gurgaon / Amita Singh --
15. Transparency, accountability, and governance : local government in Kerala and Karnataka / V. Vijayalakshmi --
16. The salience of poverty, participation, transparency, and security in good urban governance / Rama Nath Jha.
|Responsibility:||edited by Niraja Gopal Jayal, Amit Prakash, Pradeep K. Sharma.|