Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xiv, 235 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Who Became Nazis and Why? --
2. Weimar Political Parties --
3. The Middle Class and Weimar Political Parties --
4. The Working Class and Weimar Political Parties --
5. Selective Incentives and Disincentives for Joining the Nazi Party --
Appendix A: Social Ranking and Occupational Standing --
Appendix B: Brustein-Falter BDC Membership Sample Variables --
Appendix C: A Chronology of Significant Weimar Events.
Brustein has carefully analyzed a huge collection of pre-1933 Nazi Party membership data drawn from the official files at the Berlin Document Center. He argues that Nazi followers were more representative of German society as a whole - that they included more workers, more single women, and more Catholics - than most previous scholars have believed. Further, says Brustein, the patterns of membership reveal that people joined the Nazi Party not because of Hitler's irrational appeal or charisma or anti-Semitism but because the party, through its shrewd and proactive program, offered more benefits to more people than did the other political parties in Weimar Germany. According to Brustein, Nazi supporters were no different from citizens anywhere who select a political party or candidate they believe will promote their economic interests. The roots of evil, he suggests, may be ordinary indeed.
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei.
- National socialism.
- Germany -- Social conditions -- 1918-1933.
- Political parties -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945.
- Germany -- Economic conditions -- 1918-1945.
- Sociale aspecten.
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei.
- National-socialisme -- Allemagne.
- Partis politiques -- Allemagne -- 1900-1945.
- Participation poltique -- Allemagne -- Histoire -- 1900-1945.
- Allemagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1918-1933.
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei. -- Membership.
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1918-1933.
- Economic history.
- Political parties.
- Political science.
- Social history.