Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||François Mitterrand; François Mitterrand|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Julius Weis Friend
|Contents:||1. Genesis. Prologue: The Pantheon. History and Mythology. The New Leader of the Left. The Making of a New Socialist Party. The Dangerous Ally. Mitterrand's Socialist Party. Against All Hope --
2. Socialism in One Common Market Country. The Third Round. The New Men. Governing in a Hurry. Nationalization. Economic Problems. A Slight Case of Hubris. Parenthesis Without an End. The Legislative Record. The "Other Policy," Ideological Drought. Legislation and Its Discontents. The Problems of Pierre Mauroy. The Second-Biggest Demonstration Ever --
3. Thirty-Six Months at the Center. Fabius Socialism. Bitter Medicine. Gradual Improvement. The PS in 1984. New Worries for Fabius. A Scandal in Auckland. The Politics of the 1986 Election --
4. From Confrontation to Cohabitation. The Waning of the PCF. Exit the Communist Party. Enter the National Front. Crime and the National Front. Unassimilable Moslems? The Return of the Right --
5. Cohabitation. The Election of 1986. Chirac Returns. The Dynamics of Cohabitation. Toward the Presidential Election --
6. Mitterrand II. The Rocard Ministry. Victory for What? Rocard's Reforms. Rocard and Mitterrand. A Disaster in Brittany. Cresson, Briefly. The Scandals. Contaminated Blood. Enter Beregovoy. Cohabitation II. The PS: A Field of Ruins? The National Front's Hold on the Voters. The Post-Mitterrand Political Scene --
7. Successes, Failures, Question Marks. The Serendip Effect. Institutional Change. The Electronic Media --
A Real Revolution. The Auroux Laws. Education. The Grandes Ecoles. Decentralization --
8. The Economics of Socialism and Un-Socialism. The Decisions of 1981. Nationalization. Monetary Policy. Unemployment. Inequality. Socialist Capitalism --
9. Foreign Policy: 1981-1995. The Shaping of Mitterrand's Socialist Foreign Policy. European Policy. France and Europe. With Germany for Europe. The Great Turn. Mitterrand's Fears --
and Blunders. The Maastricht Treaty. Yugoslavia. Frictions with the United States. Tiers Mondisme: Frustrations in Central America. The GATT Question. More of the Same in Africa. The Middle East. The Gulf War. The Maghreb. Defense and Security. After the Wall. French Defense Forces --
10. The Meaning of Mitterrand. The Stains of Scandal. The President's Achievements. Mitterrand and the PS. Mitterrand and Foreign Policy.
|Responsibility:||Julius W. Friend.|
- Mitterrand, François, -- 1916-1996 -- Influence.
- France -- Politics and government -- 1981-1995.
- Socialism -- France -- 20th century.
- Europe -- Politics and government -- 1945-
- Mitterrand, François, -- 1916-1996.
- Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.)
- Politics and government.