Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Henry Irving, Sir; Henry Irving, Sir; William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare; Macbeth, King of Scotland|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Original artwork, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Visual material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Artist: Jellicoe was a black and white illustrator who did most of his work for magazines.
History: Item is one of a series of illustrations of the same production done for publication in the Illustrated sporting and dramatic news. The other illustrations were done in pen and ink and with the collaboration of Herbert Railton. This piece was reproduced in the Feb. 9, 1889 issue on p.607. The Folger has a copy of the reproduction (ART File S528m1 no.108) but not of the magazine itself.
Provenance: Item was purchased by the Folgers from Henry Sotheran in 1903.
Published work: Illustrated sporting and dramatic news ... London, Feb 9, 1889.
Painting is signed in left corner (signature is barely visible, done in black on a dark area). Painting is all grey, black and white.
Subject: Work was done to illustrate Henry Irving's production of Macbeth in which Irving played the title role. The production, at the Lyceum, opened Dec. 29, 1888 and ran through June of 1889.
|Description:||1 painting on canvas : oil ; image 337 x 457 mm.|
- Irving, Henry, -- Sir, -- 1838-1905 -- Performances,
- Irving, Henry, -- Sir, -- 1838-1905,
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616. -- Macbeth. -- Act 4. -- Scene 1,
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Characters -- Weïrd Sisters,
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Characters -- Macbeth,
- Macbeth, -- King of Scotland, -- active 11th century -- In literature,
- Weird Sisters (Fictitious characters),
- Actors -- 19th century,
- Theatrical productions -- 19th century,