skip to content
Macro markets : creating institutions for managing society's largest economic risks Preview this item
ClosePreview this item
Checking...

Macro markets : creating institutions for managing society's largest economic risks

Author: Robert J Shiller
Publisher: Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1993.
Edition/Format:   Book : EnglishView all editions and formats
Database:WorldCat
Summary:
In this original book, Professor Shiller has created a unique and authoritative set of proposals for establishing new markets for the management of the biggest economic risks facing society. Our existing financial markets, he argues, are inadequate to deal with such risks and major new markets should be set up. He proposes a class of new international markets, macro markets, markets for claims on aggregate income
Rating:

(not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the first.

Subjects
More like this

 

Find a copy in the library

&AllPage.SpinnerRetrieving; Finding libraries that hold this item...

Details

Document Type: Book
All Authors / Contributors: Robert J Shiller
ISBN: 0198287828 9780198287827
OCLC Number: 30113766
Notes: "Clarendon lectures in economics"--Jacket.
Description: xi, 254 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Contents: Psychological barriers --
Mechanisms for hedging long streams of income --
National income and labor income markets --
Real estate and other markets --
The construction of index numbers for contract settlement --
Index numbers: issues and alternatives --
The problem of index revisions --
Making it happen.
Other Titles: Clarendon lectures in economics.
Responsibility: Robert J. Shiller.
More information:

Abstract:

In this original book, Professor Shiller has created a unique and authoritative set of proposals for establishing new markets for the management of the biggest economic risks facing society. Our existing financial markets, he argues, are inadequate to deal with such risks and major new markets should be set up. He proposes a class of new international markets, macro markets, markets for claims on aggregate income and service flows.

Our stock markets are markets for claims on corporate dividends, and yet the latter are only a few per cent of national incomes: only 3 per cent in the United States. He argues that markets should be set up for claims on the other 97 per cent. He proposes new international markets for perpetual claims on national incomes, and on components and aggregates of national incomes. Other proposals are for new international markets for property and other currently difficult-to-trade assets.

Such new markets could dwarf our stock markets in their activity and significance.

Establishing such unprecedented new markets presents some important technical problems, which Shiller attempts to solve. He has proposals for implementing index futures markets in perpetual claims on incomes and services. There is also a substantial section on the construction of index numbers for use in settlement in the macro markets. Such new markets could fundamentally alter and diminish macroeconomic fluctuations, and reduce the inequality of incomes around the world.

Reviews

User-contributed reviews
Retrieving GoodReads reviews...
Retrieving DOGObooks reviews...

Tags

Be the first.
Confirm this request

You may have already requested this item. Please select Ok if you would like to proceed with this request anyway.

Linked Data


<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/30113766>
library:oclcnum"30113766"
library:placeOfPublication
library:placeOfPublication
library:placeOfPublication
rdf:typeschema:Book
rdfs:seeAlso
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:creator
schema:datePublished"1993"
schema:description"In this original book, Professor Shiller has created a unique and authoritative set of proposals for establishing new markets for the management of the biggest economic risks facing society. Our existing financial markets, he argues, are inadequate to deal with such risks and major new markets should be set up. He proposes a class of new international markets, macro markets, markets for claims on aggregate income and service flows."@en
schema:description"Such new markets could dwarf our stock markets in their activity and significance."@en
schema:description"Establishing such unprecedented new markets presents some important technical problems, which Shiller attempts to solve. He has proposals for implementing index futures markets in perpetual claims on incomes and services. There is also a substantial section on the construction of index numbers for use in settlement in the macro markets. Such new markets could fundamentally alter and diminish macroeconomic fluctuations, and reduce the inequality of incomes around the world."@en
schema:description"Psychological barriers -- Mechanisms for hedging long streams of income -- National income and labor income markets -- Real estate and other markets -- The construction of index numbers for contract settlement -- Index numbers: issues and alternatives -- The problem of index revisions -- Making it happen."@en
schema:description"Our stock markets are markets for claims on corporate dividends, and yet the latter are only a few per cent of national incomes: only 3 per cent in the United States. He argues that markets should be set up for claims on the other 97 per cent. He proposes new international markets for perpetual claims on national incomes, and on components and aggregates of national incomes. Other proposals are for new international markets for property and other currently difficult-to-trade assets."@en
schema:exampleOfWork<http://worldcat.org/entity/work/id/808928196>
schema:inLanguage"en"
schema:name"Macro markets : creating institutions for managing society's largest economic risks"@en
schema:publication
schema:publisher
schema:publisher
schema:workExample
umbel:isLike<http://bnb.data.bl.uk/id/resource/GB9428442>
wdrs:describedby

Content-negotiable representations

Close Window

Please sign in to WorldCat 

Don't have an account? You can easily create a free account.