Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Smith, Richard Cándida.
Berkeley : University of California Press, ©1999
|Named Person:||Stéphane Mallarmé; Stéphane Mallarmé; Stéphane Mallarmé|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Richard Cándida Smith
|ISBN:||9780520922723 0520922727 0585335257 9780585335254|
|Description:||1 online resource (xxiv, 304 pages)|
|Contents:||pt. 1. The Symbolist Moment. 1. Stephane Mallarme before the Public. 2. The Production of Symbolism. 3. Apprentices and Washouts. 4. Crises of Opportunity. 5. Moving toward an "Industrial Art" --
pt. 2. Poetics and the Politics of "Experience" 6. Symbolism, Pragmatism, and the Synthetic Self. 7. Truth as Self-Representation. 8. Poetry and the Translation of History into Truth --
pt. 3. Eros, Labor, Poetry. 9. Self-Representation as Metaphysics. 10. Representing Utopian Aspiration. 11. American Syntheses --
pt. 4. From Symbol to Design, from Harmony to Elegance. 12. The Order of Things Hidden. 13. Vision and Language into the Gap. 14. Working within the Dream. pt. 1. The symbolist moment. Stephane Mallarme before the public. The production of symbolism. Apprentices and washouts. Crises of opportunity. Moving toward an "industrial art" --
pt. 2. Poetics and the politics of "experience" symbolism, pragmatism, and the synthetic self. Truth as self-representation. Poetry and the translation of history into truth --
pt. 3. Eros, labor, poetry. Self-representation as metaphysics. Representing utopian aspiration. American syntheses --
pt. 4. From symbol to design, from harmony to elegance. The order of things hidden. Vision and language into the gap. Working within the dream.
|Responsibility:||Richard Cándida Smith.|
- Symbolism (Literary movement)
- Literature and society.
- Mallarmé, Stéphane, -- 1842-1898 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- French literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
- France -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
- American literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
- American literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- TRAVEL -- Special Interest -- Literary.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- General.
- Mallarmé, Stéphane, -- 1842-1898.
- American literature.
- French literature.
- Intellectual life.
- French literature -- History and criticism -- 19th century.
- American literature -- History and criticism -- 19th century.
- American literature -- History and criticism -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.