|類型/形式：||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|提及的人：||Édouard Manet; Édouard Manet; Edouard Manet; Édouard Manet; Edouard Manet; Édouard Manet; Édouard Manet; Edouard Manet|
|ISBN:||0226262162 9780226262161 9780226262178 0226262170|
|描述：||xxviii, 647 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm|
|内容：||Introduction: Manet before Impressionism --
1. Manet's Sources, 1859-1869 --
2. "Manet's Sources" Reconsidered --
3. The Generation of 1863 --
4. Manet in His Generation --
5. Between Realisms --
Coda: Manet's Modernism --
Appendix 1 Antonin Proust, "L'Art d'Edouard Manet" (1901) --
Appendix 2 Edmond Duranty, "Ceux qui seront les peintres" (1867) --
Appendix 3 Le Capitaine Pompilius [Carle Desnoyers], remarks on Manet (1863) --
Appendix 4 Zacharie Astruc, remarks on Manet (1863).
Face of painting in the 1860s
By placing the painter squarely within his generation (along with Henri Fantin-Latour, Alphonse Legros, and James McNeill Whistler, all of whom are treated at length) as well as in the context of the art-critical discourse of his time, Fried transforms our sense of Manet's artistic project. Instead of the usual emphasis on flatness and visuality, Fried focuses on aspects of Manet's work that have either been minimized or ignored: his repeated allusions to Old Master sources, his desire for "universality" as regards both national schools and individual genres, his efforts to annul the absorptive basis of the modern French tradition, his invention of a sort of portrait-tableau, above all his pursuit of facingness and strikingness as means of reconstructing the relationship between painting and beholder.
The result is an entirely new understanding not only of the art of Manet and his generation but also of the way in which the Impressionist simplification of Manet's achievement had determined subsequent accounts of pictorial modernism down to the present. Like Fried's previous books, Manet's Modernism is a milestone in the historiography of modern art.
- Manet, Édouard, -- 1832-1883 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Painting, French.
- Painting, French -- 19th century.
- Manet, Édouard, -- 1832-1883.
- Manet, Edouard, -- 1832-1883 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Painting, Fanch -- 19th century.
- Manet, Édouard, -- 1832-1883
- Manet, Edouard, -- 1832-1883
- Manet, Édouard, -- (1832-1883) -- Critique et interprétation.
- Manet, Édouard, -- (1832-1883)
- Manet, Edouard.