Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Pictorial works Exhibitions
Pre-Linnean works Exhibitions
|Named Person:||Mark Catesby; Mark Catesby; Mark Catesby|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Henrietta McBurney; Windsor Castle. Royal Library.; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
|Notes:||Catalog of a traveling exhibition organized by the Royal Library, Windsor Castle in conjunction with the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.|
|Description:||160 pages : illustrations (some color), map ; 30 cm|
|Contents:||Preface / Oliver Everett --
"The Perfecting of Natural History": Mark Catesby's Drawings of American Flora and Fauna in the Royal Library, Windsor Castle / Amy R.W. Meyers --
The Windsor Volumes / Henrietta McBurney --
Note on the Natural History Albums of Sir Hans Sloane / Henrietta McBurney --
Catalogue / Henrietta McBurney. I. Birds (1-17). II. Fishes (18-23). III. Crabs, Turtles and Corals (24-26). IV. Snakes, Lizards and Frogs (27-35). V. Mammals (36-38). VI. Insects (39-40). VII. Plants (41-52).
|Responsibility:||Henrietta McBurney ; with an introductory essay by Amy R.W. Meyers.|
Published here for the first time are the original watercolors from which Catesby prepared the etchings which accompanied his published volumes.
Having been stored away from the light between the pages of a unique copy of the book in the Royal Library at Windsor, which King George III bought in 1768, they are wonderfully fresh, and communicate all the enthusiasm of the pioneer naturalist amazed by the colors and variety of the new species of birds, fish, mammals, reptiles, insects and plants he was documenting (some of them now extinct).
The watercolors have recently undergone conservation at the Royal Library and selections are being exhibited at several international venues. The conservation has brought to light many new drawings illustrating Catesby's working methods, and Henrietta McBurney's research sheds valuable new light on Catesby and the composition of his epochal Natural History.
- Catesby, Mark, -- 1683-1749. -- Natural History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands -- Exhibitions.
- Natural history -- Southern States -- Pictorial works -- Exhibitions.
- Natural history -- Bahamas -- Pictorial works -- Exhibitions.
- Catesby, Mark, -- 1683-1749.
- Natural history -- Southern States -- Pre-Linnean works -- Exhibitions.
- Natural history -- Bahamas -- Pre-Linnean works -- Exhibitions.
- Natural history illustration -- Exhibitions.
- Catesby, Mark, -- 1683-1749. -- Natural history of Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands.
- Windsor Castle. -- Royal Library.
- Natuurlijke historie.