Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Mary Anthony; Hanya Holm; Martha Graham; Anna Sokolow; Charles Weidman; John Butler; Ross Parkes; Yuriko Kimura; Louise Kloepper; Tonia Shimin|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Dennis Diamond; David P Quinn
Cassettes 1 and 2, each ca. 88 min. long, contain the same material, taped from different camera angles.
An additional 6 min. of this interview appears on *MGZIA 4-3634 Mary Anthony and Mary Ford interviews, camera two, 7/22/98.
|Performer(s):||Interviewer: Tonia Shimin.|
|Event notes:||Videotaped in New York on July 22, 1998 ; videography, Dennis Diamond and David Quinn.|
|Description:||2 videocassettes (176 min.) : sound, color NTSC ; 1/2 in. (VHS).|
|Contents:||Mary Anthony discusses her arrival in New York at age 18, and her studies with Hanya Holm and Martha Graham ; her early experiences as a performer, choreographer and artist's model ; dancing in Anna Sokolow's Lyric suite and Charles Weidman's Fables for our time ; her friendship with Graham ; the genesis of her work Songs ; dancing with City Center Opera Ballet in choreography by John Butler, Weidman and others ; her work for television ; the "glory years" of her dance company, which included Ross Parkes and Yuriko Kimura, and her dances Gloria, In the beginning, Cain and Abel, and Antiphon ; her visit to Israel ; her admiration for passion in dancing, and her belief that the artist must experience the full emotional range of life ; the inspiration she finds in her dancers, with Ceremony of carols as an example ; her company's revivals of Sokolow's Rooms and Dreams, and Weidman's Fables for our time ; teaching in the Artists-in-Schools program ; the evolution of her teaching, and the influence of Louise Kloepper ; sources of inspiration for her teaching, including nature and the visual arts ; the creative component of her class ; her different approaches to different class levels.|
|Series Title:||Mary Anthony: a life in modern dance preliminary footage.|
- Anthony, Mary.
- Holm, Hanya, -- 1893-1992.
- Graham, Martha.
- Sokolow, Anna.
- Weidman, Charles.
- Butler, John.
- Parkes, Ross.
- Kimura, Yuriko.
- Kloepper, Louise.
- Shimin, Tonia.
- Mary Anthony Dance Theatre.
- New Dance Group (New York, N.Y.)
- New York City Opera. -- Ballet.
- National Endowment for the Arts. -- Artists-in-Schools Program.
- Lyric suite (Choreographic work : Sokolow)
- Fables for our time (Choreographic work : Weidman)
- Songs (Choreographic work : Anthony)
- Gloria (Choreographic work : Anthony)
- In the beginning (Choreographic work : Anthony)
- Cain and Abel (Choreographic work : Anthony)
- Antiphon (Choreographic work : Anthony)
- Ceremony of carols (Choreographic work : Anthony)
- Rooms (Choreographic work : Sokolow)
- Dreams (Choreographic work : Sokolow)
- Dancers -- United States -- 20th century.
- Choreographers -- United States -- 20th century.
- Dance teachers -- United States.
- Dance companies -- United States.
- Modern dance -- United States.