Ferber, Linda S.
Masters of color and light.
Washington : Brooklyn Museum of Art in Association with Smithsonian Institution Press, ©1998
|提及的人：||Winslow Homer; John Singer Sargent; Winslow Homer; John Singer Sargent|
Linda S Ferber; Barbara Dayer Gallati; Brooklyn Museum of Art.
|描述：||xiii, 223 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm|
|内容：||1. "A Taste Awakened": The American Watercolor Movement in Brooklyn / Linda S. Ferber --
2. The Exhibition Watercolor in America / Barbara Dayer Gallati --
3. The Power of Patronage: William Trost Richards and the American Watercolor Movement / Linda S. Ferber --
4. Watercolors by Winslow Homer at the Brooklyn Museum of art / Linda S. Ferber --
5. Controlling the Medium: The Marketing of John Singer Sargent's Watercolors / Barbara Dayer Gallati --
6. Language, Watercolor, and the American way / Barbara Dayer Gallati --
7. The American Watercolor Canon for the Twentieth Century (Observations on a Work in Progress) / Barbara Dayer Gallati --
Chronology of the American Watercolor Movement / Thomas B. Parker --
Index of Artists in the Exhibition.
|责任：||Linda S. Ferber and Barbara Dayer Gallati.|
Highlighting 150 paintings that span nearly two centuries, this richly illustrated volume documents the origin and development of one of the nation's finest collections by investigating for the first time aspects of American watercolor's patronage and critical reception.
Less often displayed than oils because of their sensitivity to light, watercolors nevertheless have enjoyed a lively, complex history. Illuminating well-known works as well as many that have never before been reproduced, Masters of Color and Light showcases an array of paintings that range far beyond watercolor's early reputation as the "lighter and daintier" medium.
- Watercolor painting, American -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
- Homer, Winslow, -- 1836-1910 -- Exhibitions.
- Sargent, John Singer, -- 1856-1925 -- Exhibitions.
- Watercolor painting -- New York (State) -- New York -- Exhibitions.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art -- Exhibitions.
- Brooklyn Museum -- Exhibitions.
- Homer, Winslow, -- 1836-1910.
- Sargent, John Singer, -- 1856-1925.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art.
- Watercolor painting.
- Watercolor painting, American.
- New York (State) -- New York.