Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Rafuse, Ethan Sepp, 1968-
Bloomington [Indiana] : Indiana University Press, c2005
|Named Person:||George Brinton McClellan; George Brinton McClellan|
|Material Type:||Biography, Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ethan Sepp Rafuse
|Description:||1 online resource (xiv, 525 p.) : ill., maps|
|Contents:||"Traditions and associations ... were all on the side of the old Whig Party" --
"I can do as well as anyone in both my studies and my military duties" --
Political realignment --
"A strong Democrat of the Stephen A. Douglas school" --
To kill secession --
"A new and strange position" --
Supreme command --
"You have no idea of the pressure brought to bear here" --
"What do you think of the science of generalship?" --
The Peninsula campaign --
"I do not like the ... turn that affairs are taking" --
"He has acted badly" --
"To meet the necessities of the moment" --
"The most terrible battle" --
"It is my duty to submit to the presdt's proclamation & quietly continue doing my duty" --
The last campaign.
|Responsibility:||Ethan S. Rafuse.|
"In Ethan Rafuse's refreshing new book, we have the story of a man who... was thrust into a war that helped transform American society from an agrarian into an industrial empire. Thus, to really
- McClellan, George Brinton, -- 1826-1885.
- McClellan, George Brinton, -- 1826-1885 -- Military leadership.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns.
- Strategy -- History -- 19th century.
- Command of troops -- History -- 19th century.
- Generals -- United States -- Biography.
- United States. -- Army -- Biography.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Historical
- HISTORY / United States / Civil War Period (1850-1877)