Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Algernon Sydney Sullivan; Ida M Payne Valentine; Bessie Carroll Valentine Walker; Mead family.; Valentine family.; Walker family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
J L Cabell; Stanislaw John Makielski; John B Minor; Ida M Payne Valentine; Robert Poore Valentine; Albert Edward Walker; Bessie Carroll Valentine Walker
|Description:||1 (approximately) cu. ft.|
Correspondence of interest includes courtship letters of Ida Payne and Robert Valentine, 1873, and letters to Albert Walker discussing business matters pertinent to the publication of a newspaper.
Letters of note include one from John Barbee Minor against violation of the Sabbath and one from James L. Cabell to Valentine, as president of a local streetcar company concerning an incident between two ladies and a "negro man."
Miscellaneous Meade family papers include specifications and invoices pertinent to the construction of their home on Valley Road, Charlottesville, Va.
Miscellaneous Valentine family papers include a deed and survey for Charlottesville land purchased by Robert P. Valentine and other papers pertinent to this land and business transactions.
Miscellaneous Walker family papers include a deed for city property, Bessie V. Walker's D.A.R. application, a contract between Bessie Walker and Stanislaw J. Makielski; letters from her on Madison Hall stationery, her will and an agreement for publication, and the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award cerificate and medallion awarded by the University of Virginia to Bessie V. Walker.
Also of interest is a scrapbook of a railroad trip to Louisiana, Arizona and California on the Southern Pacific Line; portraits of Bessie Walker, Ida Valentine.
- Sullivan, Algernon Sydney, -- 1826-1887.
- Valentine, Ida M. Payne, -- -1912 -- Portraits.
- Walker, Bessie Carroll Valentine, -- 1876-1965 -- Portraits.
- Mead family.
- Valentine family.
- Walker family.
- Charlottesville and University Railway Company.
- University of Virginia. -- Madison Hall.
- Courtship -- History -- 19th century.
- House construction -- Virginia -- Charlottesville.
- Charlottesville (Va.) -- Race relations.
- Street-railroads -- Virginia -- Charlottesville.
- Charlottesville (Va.) -- Social life and customs.