Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Mary Meigs Atwater; Louisa M Green; Herbert J Hall; Abraham Lincoln; Francis Lynde; Ann Minerva Rodgers Macomb; Charles D Meigs; Cornelia Meigs; Emlen Meigs; Meigs family.; John Rodgers Meigs; Louisa Rodgers Meigs; Montgomery Meigs; Montgomery C Meigs; Henry Rodgers; John Rodgers; John Rodgers; Minerva Denison Rodgers; Rogers family.; Mary Montgomery Meigs Taylor; Alice Meigs Orr|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Language Note:||Some items in Japanese.|
|Description:||3 linear ft.|
Among the papers of Montgomery C. Meigs is a copy of the letter from President Lincoln to Gen. Winfield Scott appointing Meigs to the post of Quartermaster General. However, the bulk of these papers are family-oriented, including correspondence with his children and his brothers William and (Samuel) Emlen Meigs. Most correspondence is with his son, Montgomery, covering the latter's time at West Point and his early engineering career.
The papers of Montgomery Meigs include some description of his engineering work on the upper Mississippi and his life in Keokuk, including his involvement with the Army Corps of Engineers and the local arm of the "good roads movement." A large number of letters deal with the illness and death of his wife Grace Lynde Meigs. There is extensive correspondence with his children. The husbands of Alice Meigs Orr and Mary Meigs Atwater spent much of their professional lives abroad, and both daughters regularly sent letters and postcards from foreign countries, particularly, in the case of Alice, from Japan. Alice's papers include a large Japanese woodcut of samurai and a program of the annual festival of the Great Temple of Nikko.
The papers of Cornelia Meigs include yearbooks and other material relating to her life at Bryn Mawr College in the early 1900s, with an emphasis on extra-curricular activities. Her later letters discuss family affairs and travel, and her treatment for nervous disorders at Cook County Hospital and at Devereaux Mansion in Marblehead, Mass. At Devereaux, Cornelia befriended Dr. Herbert J. Hall, a pioneer in the "work cure" method of occupational therapy. Hall also wrote children's poetry, and he and Cornelia exchanged poems, criticisms and suggestions. Cornelia collected Hall's poems and letters into a bound volume after his death in 1923.
There are smaller amounts of correspondence for members of the Rodgers family line.
- Atwater, Mary Meigs.
- Green, Louisa M.
- Hall, Herbert J. -- (Herbert James), -- 1870-1923.
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865.
- Lynde, Francis, -- 1856-1930.
- Macomb, Ann Minerva Rodgers, -- 1824-1916.
- Meigs, Charles D. -- (Charles Delucena), -- 1792-1869.
- Meigs, Cornelia, -- 1884-1973.
- Meigs, Emlen.
- Meigs family.
- Meigs, John Rodgers, -- 1842-1864.
- Meigs, Louisa Rodgers.
- Meigs, Montgomery, -- 1847-1931.
- Meigs, Montgomery C. -- (Montgomery Cunningham), -- 1816-1892.
- Rodgers, Henry, -- -1854.
- Rodgers, John, -- 1773-1838.
- Rodgers, John, -- 1812-1882.
- Rodgers, Minerva Denison, -- 1784-1877.
- Rogers family.
- Taylor, Mary Montgomery Meigs, -- 1843-1885.
- Bryn Mawr College -- Students -- Yearbooks.
- Nikkō Tōshōgū.
- United States. -- Army. -- Corps of Engineers.
- Children's poetry.
- Civil engineers -- United States.
- Middle class families -- United States.
- Middle class women -- United States.
- Prints, Japanese.
- Women authors.
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Pictorial works.
- Atlantic City (N.J.) -- Pictorial works.
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Pictorial works.
- Delavan (Wis.) -- Pictorial works.
- Flagstaff (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works.
- Kittery (Me.) -- Pictorial works.
- Kyoto (Japan) -- Pictorial works.
- Japan -- Description and travel.
- Keokuk (Iowa)
- Lisbon (Portugal) -- Pictorial works.
- London (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Pictorial works.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Pictorial works.
- Paris (France) -- Pictorial works.
- Portland (Or.) -- Pictorial works.
- Rock Island (Ill.) -- Pictorial works.
- Rome (Italy) -- Pictorial works.
- Seligman (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works.
- Tucson (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works.
- Winona (Minn.) -- Pictorial works.
- Orr, Alice Meigs.
- Ferdinand Herold (Steamship)
- Good roads movement.