Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Michelangelo Buonarroti; Michelangelo Buonarroti; Michelangelo Buonarroti|
|Material Type:||Audio book, etc.|
|Document Type:||Sound Recording|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||6 sound discs.|
"Michelangelo & the Pope's Ceiling recounts the fascinating story of the four extraordinary years he spent laboring over the twelve thousand square feet of the vast ceiling while the power politics and personal rivalries that abounded in Rome swirled around him. Contrary to legend, he neither worked alone nor on his back. He and his hand-picked assistants stood bending backward on a special scaffold he designed for the purpose. Battling against ill health, financial difficulties, domestic and family problems, and the pope's impatience, Michelangelo created scenes - including The Creation, The Temptation, and The Flood - so beautiful that, when they were unveiled in 1512, they stunned onlookers. In the end, he produced one of the greatest masterpieces of all time, about which Giorgio Vasari, in his Lives of the Artists, wrote, "There is no other work to compare with this for excellence, nor could there be.""--BOOK JACKET.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti, -- 1475-1564 -- Appreciation.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti, -- 1475-1564 -- Contemporaries.
- Cappella Sistina (Vatican Palace, Vatican City)
- Bible -- Illustrations.
- Mural painting and decoration, Italian -- Vatican City.
- Mural painting and decoration, Renaissance -- Vatican City.
- Italy -- History -- 1492-1559.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti, -- 1475-1564.
- Art appreciation.
- Mural painting and decoration, Italian.
- Mural painting and decoration, Renaissance.
- Vatican City.