Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Martin J Blaser
|Description:||273 pages ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||Modern plagues --
Our microbial planet --
The human microbiome --
The rise of pathogens --
The wonder drugs --
The overuse of antibiotics --
The modern farmer --
Mother and child --
A forgotten world --
Trouble breathing --
... And fatter --
Modern plagues revisited --
Antibiotic winter --
|Responsibility:||Martin J. Blaser, MD.|
"Tracing one scientist's journey toward understanding the crucial importance of the microbiome, this revolutionary book will take readers to the forefront of trail-blazing research while revealing the damage that overuse of antibiotics is doing to our health: contributing to the rise of obesity, asthma, diabetes, and certain forms of cancer. In Missing Microbes, Dr. Martin Blaser invites us into the wilds of the human microbiome where for hundreds of thousands of years bacterial and human cells have existed in a peaceful symbiosis that is responsible for the health and equilibrium of our body. Now, this invisible eden is being irrevocably damaged by some of our most revered medical advances--antibiotics--threatening the extinction of our irreplaceable microbes with terrible health consequences. Taking us into both the lab and deep into the fields where these troubling effects can be witnessed firsthand, Blaser not only provides cutting edge evidence for the adverse effects of antibiotics, he tells us what we can do to avoid even more catastrophic health problems in the future."--Publisher information.
- Antibiotics -- Effectiveness.
- Drug resistance in microorganisms.
- SCIENCE / Life Sciences / Human Anatomy & Physiology.
- SCIENCE / Life Sciences / Biology / General.
- HEALTH & FITNESS / Diseases / Immune System.
- Drug Resistance, Microbial.
- Anti-Bacterial Agents -- adverse effects.
- Communicable Diseases -- epidemiology.
- Microbiota -- drug effects.
User lists with this item (13)
- Dec 2014 - New Books MJC Library(24 items)
by adlers updated about 2 weeks ago
- Nov 2014 Luria Library(137 items)
by SBCC-Library updated about a month ago
- 2014 - New Nonfiction Titles (January 6- December 15)(407 items)
by nblibrary updated about a week ago
- New Books Fall 2014(52 items)
by LJorgensen updated 2014-11-06
- 2014 August New Titles(190 items)
by libraryacq updated 2014-11-05