Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Edward Bossange; F S Holmes; Alexander von Humboldt; Henry C King; Mitchell King; John Pennington; James Louis Petigru; Daniel Ravenel|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Letters are from Henry C. King at Matanza [Plantation, Prince George Parish, S.C.] (1847 April 26) concerning family and social matters, John Pennington at Philadelphia (1850 Feb. 8) concerning Pennsylvania now paying what it owes to him (also about family matters, preserving the republic, and their mutual interest in early European occupation of Carolina and working of the gold mines before English settlement), F.S. Holmes (June 25; ca. 1857) concerning King's interest in and subscription to the museum [College of Charleston Museum?], and J.L. Petigru (Aug. 15) in which he states he is sending him "the Times" concerning the opinion of one of the judges on the marriage question.
An invoice (1853 July 13) from Hector Bossange of Paris with a note (1853 August 17) from Edward Bossange (the New York proprietor of Hector Bossange) notifying King that the third volume of Humboldt's Cosmos has arrived and will be sent as soon as Bossange can pick it up at the Custom House in New York. A printed notice with handwritten additions (1842 May 7) from Daniel Ravenel, president of the Bible Society of Charleston requests that King attend a meeting of the Board of Managers. A list (1860) arranged by date (1858-1860) contains names and amounts of money. Another list (n.d.) contains the names of various individuals.
- Bossange, Edward.
- Holmes, F. S. -- (Francis Simmons), -- 1815-1882.
- Humboldt, Alexander von, -- 1769-1859. -- Cosmos: a sketch of a physical description of the universe.
- King, Henry C., -- d. 1862.
- King, Mitchell, -- 1783-1862.
- Pennington, John, -- fl. 1850.
- Petigru, James Louis, -- 1789-1863.
- Ravenel, Daniel, -- 1789-1873.
- Bible Society of Charleston.
- Hector Bossange (Paris, France)
- Matanza Plantation (Prince George Parish, S.C.)
- South Carolina -- History -- 1775-1865.
- South Carolina -- Social life and customs.