New York : Random House, ©1999
|提及的人：||J Pierpont Morgan; J Pierpont Morgan; J Pierpont Morgan; John Pierpont Morgan; John Pierpont (der Ältere) Morgan|
|描述：||xv, 796 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
In this account, drawn from more than a decade's work in newly available archives, biographer Jean Strouse animates Morgan's life and times to reveal the entirely human character behind the often terrifying visage.
Morgan brings eye-opening perspectives to the role the banker played in the emerging U.S. economy as he raised capital in Europe, reorganized bankrupt railroads, stabilized markets in times of crisis, and set up many of the corporate and financial structures we take for granted. And surprising new stories introduce us in vivid detail to Morgan's childhood in Hartford and Boston, his schooling in Switzerland and Germany, the start of his career in New York - as well as to his relations with his esteemed and exacting father, with his adored first and difficult second wives, with his children, partners, business associates, female consorts, and friends.
Morgan had a second major career as a collector of art, stocking America with visual and literary treasures of the past. Strouse's biography gives dramatic new dimension not only to Morgan but to the culture, political struggles, and social conflicts of America's momentous Gilded Age.
- Morgan, J. Pierpont -- (John Pierpont), -- 1837-1913.
- Bankers -- United States -- Biography.
- Capitalists and financiers -- United States -- Biography.
- Art -- Collectors and collecting -- United States -- Biography.
- Banquiers -- États-Unis -- Biographies.
- Capitalistes et financiers -- États-Unis -- Biographies.
- Art -- Collectionneurs et collections -- États-Unis -- Biographies.
- Morgan, J. Pierpont -- (John Pierpont), -- 1837-1913
- Art -- Collectors and collecting.
- Capitalists and financiers.
- United States.
- Morgan, John Pierpont, -- (1837-1913) -- Biographies.
- Morgan, John Pierpont (der Ältere)