Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Authors most extensively represented include Charles Reade, with approx. 449 letters, many documents (often drafted by Reade himself) concerning publication and production agreements (and disagreements), real estate, law suits, etc., nine notebooks and 130 poster-size notecards, and signed holograph manuscripts, mostly drafts or incomplete, of approx. 31 articles, stories, plays, and novels, including GRIFFITH GAUNT; Wilkie Collins, with approx. 670 letters, and signed holograph manuscripts of two stories and four novels in weekly parts; Charles Kingsley, with approx. 701 letters, including over 100 to his wife, and signed holograph manuscripts of over 80 sermons; Anthony Trollope, with 689 letters, signed holograph manuscripts (carbons) of his travel letters from Australia, and manuscripts, partly holograph, of two books.
Other large holdings include over 590 letters of Edward Bulwer Lytton, holograph manuscripts (fair copies) of six novels by William Black, holograph manuscripts of five novels by Charlotte Yonge, and a collection of C. L. Dodgson's mathematical manuscripts, approx. 1770 items. In addition, the collection has four albums of Dodgson's photographs, compiled by himself with autograph indexes, and the HOUSEHOLD WORDS Office Book, listing title and author of all contributions to Dickens' periodical during its ten-year run.
Other writers and artists significantly represented in the collection are William Harrison Ainsworth, J. M. Barrie, M. E. Braddon, Dinah Maria Mulock Craik, George Eliot, Elizabeth Cleghorn Stevenson Gaskell, Thomas Hardy, Thomas Hughes, Charles Lever, George Meredith, Ouida, Robert Louis Stevenson, and William Makepeace Thackeray.
In addition, the collection contains Parrish's correspondence (39 boxes) relating to his activities in creating the collection, including correspondence with booksellers, bibliophiles, and friends. Among those well-represented in this series are Michael Sadleir, Carroll A. Wilson, I. R. Brussel, Walter M. Hill, Elkin Mathews, Maggs Bros., Quaritch, and E. P. Dutton & Co.
- Brussel, I. R. -- (Isidore Rosenbaum), -- 1895- -- Correspondence.
- Hargreaves, Alice Pleasance Liddell, -- 1852-1934 -- Photographs.
- Randall, David A. -- (David Anton), -- 1905-1975 -- Correspondence.
- Sadleir, Michael, -- 1888-1957. -- Correspondence.
- Wilson, Carroll A. -- (Carroll Atwood), -- 1886-1947 -- Correspondence.
- Book collecting -- United States -- 20th century.
- Booksellers and bookselling -- England -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- English literature -- 19th century.
- Illustrators -- England -- 19th century -- Drawings.
- Novelists, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Novelists, English -- 19th century -- Manuscripts.
- Women novelists, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Women novelists, English -- 19th century -- Manuscripts.
- Fiction -- 19th century.