Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John James Abert; Audubon family.; John James Audubon; John Woodhouse Audubon; Lucy Green Bakewell Audubon; Victor Gifford Audubon; John Bachman; Spencer Fullerton Baird; Thomas Woodhouse Bakewell; William Gifford Bakewell; Charles Lucian Bonaparte; Henry Clay; William Fleming; Richard Harlan; Edward Harris; Robert Havell; Rayner Heppenstall; Hezekiah Howe; John Bartholomew Kidd; Samuel George Morton|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
John James Audubon
|Description:||12.3 linear ft. (19 boxes)|
|Other Titles:||Ornithological Biography.
The Viviparous Quadrupeds of America.
The John James Audubon component of the collection includes correspondence among family members; letters by and to others including many naturalists and ornithologists; and third party correspondence that relates to Audubon including numerous letters of introduction written on his behalf. The bulk of the correspondence dates from the late 1820s through the 1840s when Audubon was producing and promoting Birds of America and working on The Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America. Much of the correspondence concerns these ventures. There is extensive manuscript material for The Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America in the collection and lesser amounts for Ornithological Biography, as well as several manuscripts by family members and others that relate to Audubon and his work. Family papers include legal and financial materials, maps and floor plans, and printed items.
The autograph collection includes letters and documents signed by U. S. Presidents, military officials, cabinet officers, governors, authors, college presidents, and other prominent nineteenth century figures. Included in the autograph collection are groups of letters to several nineteenth century booksellers and publishers.
- Abert, John James, -- 1788-1863.
- Audubon family.
- Audubon, John James, -- 1785-1851.
- Audubon, John Woodhouse, -- 1812-1862.
- Audubon, Lucy Green Bakewell, -- 1788-1874.
- Audubon, Victor Gifford, -- 1809-1860.
- Bachman, John, -- 1790-1874.
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton, -- 1823-1887.
- Bakewell, Thomas Woodhouse, -- 1861-1909.
- Bakewell, William Gifford.
- Bonaparte, Charles Lucian, -- 1803-1857.
- Clay, Henry, -- 1777-1852.
- Fleming, William, -- 1791-1866.
- Harlan, Richard, -- 1796-1843.
- Harris, Edward, -- 1799-1863.
- Havell, Robert, -- 1793-1878.
- Heppenstall, Rayner, -- 1911-
- Howe, Hezekiah, -- 1775-1838.
- Kidd, John Bartholomew.
- Morton, Samuel George, -- 1799-1851.
- James Munroe and Company.
- Smith, English and Company.
- Birds -- North America.
- Booksellers and bookselling -- Connecticut -- New Haven.
- Mammals -- United States.
- Natural history -- United States.
- Ornithologists -- United States.
- Publishers and publishing -- Connecticut -- New Haven.
- Publishers and publishing -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
- Publishers and publishing -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Wildlife artists -- United States.