Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||George Abbott; Brooks Atkinson; Bruce Barton; Bernard M Baruch; Cecil Beaton; S N Behrman; Leonard Bernstein; Aaron Bohrod; Truman Capote; Bennett Cerf; Edward Choate; Jerome Chodorov; Claudette Colbert; Hume Cronyn; Russel Crouse; George Cukor; Eddie Duchin; Lynn Fontanne; George Gershwin; Ira Gershwin; John Gielgud; Mark Goodson; Oscar Hammerstein, II; Rex Harrison; Leland Hayward; Lillian Hellman; George S Kaufman; Elia Kazan; Jerome Kern; Jean Kerr; Arthur Kober; Alan Jay Lerner; Sinclair Lewis; Howard Lindsay; Henry Robinson Luce; Sidney Lumet; Alfred Lunt; Fredric March; Michael Myerberg; Laurence Olivier; John Osborne; Cole Porter; Anthony Quayle; Jerome Robbins; Morris Harold Rubin; Harry Ruby; Robert E Sherwood; Herman Shumlin; Jean Sibelius; Phil Silvers; Adlai E Stevenson; Emlyn Williams|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Moss Hart; Kitty Carlisle
|Notes:||The films in this collection also are being cataloged individually.|
|Description:||7.0 c.f. (17 archives boxes, 1 flat box, and 1 package) 3 reels of microfilm (35 mm) 4 tape recordings, and 2 films.|
Manuscript and published copies of Hart's major works, some of which were written in collaboration with George S. Kaufman and Irving Berlin, include the plays "The American Way" (1939), "Christopher Blake" (1946), "The Climate of Eden" (1952), "George Washington Slept Here" (1940), "Jubilee" (1935), "Lady in the Dark" (1941), "Light Up the Sky" (1948), "The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1939), "Merrily We Roll Along" (1934), "Once in a Lifetime" (1930), "You Can't Take It With You" (1936), and "Winged Victory" (1943); the motion pictures "The Eddie Duchin Story" (Col., 1954), "Gentleman's Agreement" (20th Century-Fox, 1947), and "A Star is Born" (Warner Brothers, 1954); and his autobiography "Act One" (1959).
There is also a script for "My Fair Lady" (1956), which Hart directed on Broadway. For several of the above titles there are also notes, business records, clippings, and photographs. Of more personal interest are two diaries, the first kept by Hart during a world trip in 1935 while he wrote "Jubilee," and the second a journal of his theatrical activities and personal life during 1953 and 1954.
Related to Kitty Carlisle's stage and screen career are clipping scrapbooks, 1932-1946 (on microfilm), photographs, and a draft version of her autobiography "Kitty" (1988).
On film are the Harts' appearances at the 1961 Academy Award ceremonies and on "Person to Person" (CBS) in 1959. The tape recordings concern a 1960 discussion of Broadway musicals between Hart and Brooks Atkinson.
- Abbott, George, -- 1887-1995.
- Atkinson, Brooks, -- 1894-1984.
- Barton, Bruce, -- 1886-1967.
- Baruch, Bernard M. -- (Bernard Mannes), -- 1870-1965.
- Beaton, Cecil, -- 1904-1980.
- Behrman, S. N. -- (Samuel Nathaniel), -- 1893-1973.
- Bernstein, Leonard, -- 1918-1990.
- Bohrod, Aaron.
- Capote, Truman, -- 1924-1984.
- Cerf, Bennett, -- 1898-1971.
- Choate, Edward.
- Chodorov, Jerome.
- Colbert, Claudette.
- Cronyn, Hume.
- Crouse, Russel, -- 1893-1966.
- Cukor, George, -- 1899-1983.
- Duchin, Eddie.
- Fontanne, Lynn.
- Gershwin, George, -- 1898-1937.
- Gershwin, Ira, -- 1896-1983.
- Gielgud, John, -- 1904-2000.
- Goodson, Mark.
- Hammerstein, Oscar, -- II, -- 1895-1960.
- Harrison, Rex.
- Hayward, Leland.
- Hellman, Lillian, -- 1905-1984.
- Kaufman, George S. -- (George Simon), -- 1889-1961.
- Kazan, Elia.
- Kern, Jerome, -- 1885-1945.
- Kerr, Jean.
- Kober, Arthur, -- 1900-1975.
- Lerner, Alan Jay, -- 1918-1986.
- Lewis, Sinclair, -- 1885-1951.
- Lindsay, Howard, -- 1889-1968.
- Luce, Henry Robinson, -- 1898-1967.
- Lumet, Sidney, -- 1924-2011.
- Lunt, Alfred.
- March, Fredric, -- 1897-1975.
- Myerberg, Michael.
- Olivier, Laurence, -- 1907-1989.
- Osborne, John, -- 1929-1994.
- Porter, Cole, -- 1891-1964.
- Quayle, Anthony, -- 1913-1989.
- Robbins, Jerome.
- Rubin, Morris Harold, -- 1911-
- Ruby, Harry.
- Sherwood, Robert E. -- (Robert Emmet), -- 1896-1955.
- Shumlin, Herman, -- 1898-1979.
- Sibelius, Jean, -- 1865-1957.
- Silvers, Phil, -- 1911-1985.
- Stevenson, Adlai E. -- (Adlai Ewing), -- 1900-1965.
- Williams, Emlyn, -- 1905-1987.
- Act one.
- Act one (Motion picture)
- American way (Play)
- Christopher Blake (Play)
- Climate of Eden (Play)
- Eddie Duchin story (Motion picture)
- Gentleman's agreement (Motion picture)
- George Washington slept here (Play)
- Jubilee (Play)
- Lady in the dark (Play)
- Light up the sky (Play)
- Man who came to dinner (Play)
- Merrily we roll along (Play)
- My fair lady (Play)
- Once in a lifetime (Play)
- Person to person (Television program)
- Star is born (Motion picture : 1954)
- Winged victory (Play)
- You can't take it with you (Play)
- Academy Awards (Motion pictures)
- Motion picture plays.
- Voyages around the world.
- Women in the theater.