Trouver un exemplaire dans la bibliothèque
Recherche de bibliothèques qui possèdent cet ouvrage...
|Personne nommée :||Lou Henry Hoover; Herbert Hoover; Herbert Hoover; Lou Henry Hoover; Lou H Hoover|
|Type d’ouvrage :||Ressource Internet|
|Format :||Book, Internet Resource|
|Tous les auteurs / collaborateurs :||
Paul Venable Turner
|ISBN :||0804739412 9780804739412|
|Numéro OCLC :||54929339|
|Description :||xviii, 116 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm|
|Contenu :||Lou Henry and Herbert Hoover --
Creation of the house --
What kind of architecture is it? --
The Hoovers and indigenous architecture --
The primitive and the modern --
Stanford presidents who have lived in the house.
|Responsabilité :||Paul V. Turner.|
|Plus d’informations :|
This book shows that although professional architects were involved in the project, the architect was actually Lou Henry Hoover herself, who conceived the design of the house and worked out its details, using her architects largely for technical matters and to produce the drawings and supervise construction. As for the design, the book argues that it was inspired mainly by the Native American Pueblo architecture of New Mexico and Arizona.
Herbert Hoover, in fact, called it a "Hopi house," and Lou referred to her "Pueblo walls," but the Pueblo connection was later denied by others involved in the project." "This book reveals that both of the Hoovers were interested in Native American culture, and that Lou, in particular, was fascinated with the "primitive" architecture of the non-Western world, which she had studied during the years when she and Herbert had lived and worked in Asia and elsewhere.
Primitive forms did not appeal to her for their exoticism, as was typical at the time, but for the virtues she found in them. The Hoover House is a remarkable example of the contribution of non-Western or indigenous architecture to the development of modernism."--Jacket.
Sujets associés :(19)
- Lou Henry Hoover House (Stanford, Calif.)
- Hoover, Lou Henry, -- 1874-1944 -- Homes and haunts -- California -- Stanford.
- Hoover, Herbert, -- 1874-1964 -- Homes and haunts -- California -- Stanford.
- Architecture, Domestic -- California -- Stanford.
- Architecture -- California -- Stanford -- History.
- College presidents -- Dwellings -- California -- Stanford.
- Stanford (Calif.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Hoover, Herbert, -- 1874-1964.
- Hoover, Lou Henry, -- 1874-1944.
- Architecture, Domestic.
- College presidents -- Dwellings.
- California -- Stanford.
- Hoover, Lou H.
- Stanford (Calif.)