Mack, John, 1949-
Museum of the mind.
London : British Museum, 2003
John Mack; British Museum.
|描述：||160 pages : color illustrations ; 25 cm|
|内容：||Preface / Neil MacGregor --
The British Museum and other theatres of memory --
In the mind's eye --
Mnemonic devices --
Living memory --
In Memoriam --
Remembering and forgetting events --
Holy relics and memorabilia.
Memory is essential to a sense of being. It is deeply embedded in both personal and cultural identity, and in the history of established institutions---in particular museums, which can be construed as 'theatres of memory', from their collections and method of display, to their architecture and the naming of their parts. In a wider context, cultures are rarely without an explicit understanding of the place of memory among other mental functions. Many societies have specific roles for 'rembrancers', sometimes aided by mnemonic devices of various kinds; and all commemorate through the creation of objects. This book examines the theme through a consideration of sculpted and painted portraits, medals, coins and banknotes, sepulchres and coffins, inscriptions, religious reliquaries and pilgrim tokens, souvenirs, memorabilia and photographs. As the surrealist film-maker Luis Buñuel said: 'Life without memory is no life at all'.
- British Museum -- History.
- British Museum -- Exhibitions.
- Memorials -- Exhibitions.
- Mnemonics -- Exhibitions.
- Anthropology -- Exhibitions.
- British Museum. -- History.
- British Museum. -- Exhibitions.
- British Museum -- Histoire.
- British Museum -- Expositions.
- Mémoire dans l'art.
- Monuments commémoratifs -- Expositions.
- Mnémotechnique -- Expositions.
- Anthropologie -- Expositions.
- British Museum.