Kusch, Robert, 1934-
My toughest mentor.
Lewisburg, [Pa.] : Bucknell University Press, 1999
|提及的人：||Theodore Roethke; William Carlos Williams; Theodore Roethke; William Carlos Williams; William Carlos Williams; Theodore Roethke; William Carlos Williams; Theodore Roethke|
|描述：||96 p. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. "The less known side" --
2. "These are the best things of yours ..." --
3. "The Lost Son" and "Russia" --
4. The Field of Action.
At a time when Theodore Roethke was finding his poetic voice, he called William Carlos Williams "my toughest mentor." This study examines the discussion about poetry that lives in their correspondence and the poems they sent to each other between 1940-48. From special collections at Yale University and the University of Washington, Robert Kusch has arranged the letters in sequence, and he approaches them both as cultural critic and reader-respondent. Overall, he argues that Williams issued a series of challenges to Roethke, and these challenges changed the direction and scope of Roethke's art. The book has pointed, unconventional advice for teachers of creative writing and for those who are learning the art.
- Roethke, Theodore, -- 1908-1963 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Williams, William Carlos, -- 1883-1963 -- Friends and associates.
- Roethke, Theodore, -- 1908-1963 -- Friends and associates.
- Williams, William Carlos, -- 1883-1963 -- Correspondence.
- Williams, William Carlos, -- 1883-1963 -- Influence.
- Roethke, Theodore, -- 1908-1963 -- Correspondence.
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- Poetics -- History -- 20th century.
- Williams, William Carlos.
- Roethke, Theodore.