Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Holly Virginia Blackford
|Description:||xi, 248 p. ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||Contents Introduction: Reaching for the Narcissus: Byronic Boys, Toys, and the Plight of Persephone 1: Unearthing the Child Underworld: The History of Persephone and Developmental Psychology 2: Toying with Persephone: Herr Drosselmeier and Marie in E. T. A. Hoffmann's Nutcracker and Mouse King (1816) 3: Jo's Sensational Boy and the Gift of Amy's Soul in Louisa May Alcott's Little Women (1868-1869) 4: Lost Girls, Underworld Queens in J. M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy (1911) and Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights (1847) 5: Eleusinian Mysteries in Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden (1911) 6: The Byronic Woman: E. B. White's Charlotte's Web (1952) 7: The Riddle of Feminine Ecriture in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1998) 8: Divorce and Other Mothers: Stephenie Meyer's Twilight (2005) and Neil Gaiman's Coraline (2002)|
|Series Title:||Children's literature and culture, 80|
|Responsibility:||Holly Virginia Blackford.|
"Blackford's far-reaching book is required reading for those interested in young-adult literature and/or gender studies. Summing Up: Highly recommended." --V. A. Murrenus Pilmaier, University of
- Girls in literature.
- Myth in literature.
- Persephone (Greek deity) in literature.
- Children's stories, English -- History and criticism.
- Children's stories, American -- History and criticism.
- Children's stories -- History and criticism.
- Fantasy fiction, English -- History and criticism.
- Fantasy fiction, American -- History and criticism.
- Child psychology in literature.
- Children's stories.
- Children's stories, American.
- Children's stories, English.
- Fantasy fiction, American.
- Fantasy fiction, English.