Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||George Hamilton Gordon Aberdeen, Earl of; Samuel G Goodrich; Rufus W Griswold; Sarah Josepha Buell Hale; Henry James; Brantz Mayer; Frederick Marryat; George Pope Morris; Jane Porter; Robert Ker Porter, Sir; Horatio Southgate; Charles West Thomson; Martin Farquhar Tupper; Nathaniel Willis; Nathaniel Parker Willis; George Hamilton Gordon Aberdeen, Earl of; Samuel G Goodrich; Rufus W Griswold; Sarah Josepha Buell Hale; Henry James; Frederick Marryat; Brantz Mayer; George Pope Morris; Jane Porter; Robert Ker Porter, Sir; Horatio Southgate; Charles West Thomson; Martin Farquhar Tupper; Nathaniel Willis; Nathaniel Parker Willis|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Manuscript|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Nathaniel Parker Willis
|Description:||0.63 linear ft. (2 boxes)|
Series I, Owen Franklin Aldis Gift, is organized into three subseries: Correspondence, Writings, and Other Papers. Correspondence includes original letters from Willis to Rufus Wilmont Griswold, Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, Brantz Mayer, George Pope Morris, William Henry Seward, and others. There is a holograph manuscript of "To a Picture of "Genevieve" by Alexander" and a written agreement with Samuel G. Goodrich regarding editorial work on The Token in 1829.
Series II, James H. Penniman Gift, includes original letters to William Henry Seward and Charles West Thomson, as well as a letter from Nathaniel Willis (1780-1870) to Horatio Southgate.
Series III, Material from Other Sources, is organized into three subseries: Correspondence, Writings, and Other Papers. Correspondence includes letters to Henry James, Frederick Marryat, Jane Porter, Sir Robert Ker Porter, and others. There is also a letter to Willis from Martin Farquhar Tupper and several third-party letters, including one from Lord Aberdeen to Jane Porter. Of note are the two volumes of correspondence from Willis to Jane Porter. There are original holograph manuscripts for "Hannah and Samuel" and "A Poem Delivered by N. P. Willis". A third volume of material includes letters and manuscript notes chiefly in Jane Porter's hand. In addition, there are two photographs of Willis.
- Aberdeen, George Hamilton Gordon, -- Earl of, -- 1784-1860.
- Goodrich, Samuel G. -- (Samuel Griswold), -- 1793-1860.
- Griswold, Rufus W. -- (Rufus Wilmot), -- 1815-1857.
- Hale, Sarah Josepha Buell, -- 1788-1879.
- James, Henry, -- 1843-1916.
- Mayer, Brantz, -- 1809-1879.
- Marryat, Frederick, -- 1792-1848.
- Morris, George Pope, -- 1802-1864.
- Porter, Jane, -- 1776-1850.
- Porter, Robert Ker, -- Sir, -- 1777-1842.
- Southgate, Horatio, -- 1812-1894.
- Thomson, Charles West, -- 1798-1879.
- Tupper, Martin Farquhar, -- 1810-1889.
- Willis, Nathaniel, -- 1780-1870.
- Willis, Nathaniel Parker, -- 1806-1867.
- American literature -- 19th century.
- Authors, American -- 19th century -- Archives.
- American literature.
- Authors, American.