Trouver un exemplaire dans la bibliothèque
Recherche de bibliothèques qui possèdent cet ouvrage...
|Personne nommée :||Ralph Abernathy; John Ehrlichman; Moe Foner; H R Haldeman; Henry Nicholas; Mike Quill; Walter Reuther; Mendel L Rivers; Strom Thurmond; Harry Van Arsdale; Andrew J Young|
|Format :||Document mixte|
|Tous les auteurs / collaborateurs :||National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees.|
|Numéro OCLC :||64091504|
|Dans :||National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees|
|Description :||2 transcripts (53 p.)|
Henry Nicholas discusses his personal background; the conduct of pickets and the hospital strike of 1959; the economic exploitation of hospital workers; the problems of union administration without checkoff or a collective agreement; the political position of directors of nursing; the strike support of Harry Van Arsdale, Mike Quill, churches, and community; the red-baiting of 1199; jurisdictional disputes between 1199 and Service Employees International Union Local 144; the raising of political consciousness and militancy of hospital workers; union administration under the Permanent Administrative Committee; 1199 social activities and demonstrations; relationships with other 1199 officers; and 1199 organizing campaigns in Baltimore, New Jersey, and Detroit.
Nicholas' participation in the Charleston S.C. hospital workers organizing campaign is highlighted, including contacts with churches and community leaders. The training of local leadership is discussed, as is the participation in the strike of Elliott Godoff, the NAACP, Andrew Young and Ralph Abernathy; Walter Reuther's and the American Federation of Labor's participation in the strike settlement; the relations between 1199 and District 65 of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union; the involvement in the strike settlement of the mayor of Charleston, the governor of South Carolina, Mendel Rivers, Strom Thurmond, John Ehrlichman and Robert Haldeman; Moe Foner's role in public relations and the media; and violence in demonstrations.
Sujets associés :(21)
- Abernathy, Ralph -- (Ralph David), -- 1926-
- Ehrlichman, John.
- Foner, Moe, -- 1915-
- Haldeman, H. R. -- (Harry Robert), -- 1926-
- Nicholas, Henry.
- Quill, Mike.
- Reuther, Walter, -- 1907-1970.
- Rivers, Mendel L., -- 1905-1970.
- Thurmond, Strom, -- 1902-
- Van Arsdale, Harry, -- 1905-
- Young, Andrew J., -- 1932-
- American Federation of Labor.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
- National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees. -- District 1199.
- Permanent Administrative Committee (New York, N.Y.)
- Charleston Medical College Hospital Strike, Charleston, S.C., 1969.
- Labor -- Religious aspects -- Christianity -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Community leadership -- South Carolina -- Charleston.
- Hospital Workers' Strike, New York, N.Y., 1959.
- Nurse administrators -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Labor unions and communism -- New York (State) -- New York.