Right from the start, Bigger Thomas had been headed for jail. It could have been for assault or petty larceny; by chance, it was for murder and rape. Native Son tells the story of this young black man caught in a downward spiral after he kills a young white woman in a brief moment of panic. Set in Chicago in the 1930s, Richard Wright's novel is just as powerful today as when it was written -- in its reflection of poverty and hopelessness, and what it means to be black in America.
- Thomas, Bigger (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
- African American men -- Fiction.
- Death row inmates -- Fiction.
- Trials (Murder) -- Fiction.
- Murderers -- Fiction.
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Fiction.
- African American men.
- Death row inmates.
- Thomas, Bigger (Fictitious character)
- Trials (Murder)
- Illinois -- Chicago.