George J Annas; Michael A Grodin
|ISBN:||0195070429 9780195070422 0195101065 9780195101065|
|描述：||xxii, 371 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.|
Pt. I, The Nazi doctors and the medical experiments : --
Nazi doctors, racial medicine, and human experimentation / Robert N. Proctor --
Nazi doctors, German medicine, and historical truth / Christian Pross --
The Mengele twins and human experimentation : a personal account / Eva Mozes-Kor; --
Pt. II, The doctors' trial and the Nuremberg code : --
Opening statement of the prosecution, December 9, 1946 / Telford Taylor --
Epilogue : seven were hanged / Alexander Mitscherlich and Fred Mielke --
Historical origins of the Nuremberg Code / Michael A. Grodin; --
Pt. III, The role of codes in international and U.S. law : --
The Nuremberg Code : an international overview / Sharon Perley ... [et al.] --
The Nuremberg principles in international law / Robert F. Drinan --
The influence of the Nuremberg Code on U.S. statutes and regulations / Leonard H. Glantz --
The Nuremberg Code in U.S. courts : ethics versus expediency / George J. Annas; --
Pt. IV, The Nuremberg code: ethics and modern medical research : --
The consent principle of the Nuremberg code : its significance then and now / Jay Katz --
Universality of the Nuremberg Code / Ruth Macklin --
The doctors' trial and analogies to the Holocaust in contemporary bioethical debates / Arthur L. Caplan --
Editorial responsibility : protecting human rights by restricting publication of unethical research / Marcia Angell --
AIDS research and the Nuremberg Code / Wendy K. Mariner; --
Conclusion : Where do we go from here? / George J. Annas and Michael A. Grodin.
|責任：||edited by George J. Annas, Michael A. Grodin.|
The atrocities committed by Nazi physicians and researchers during World War II prompted the development of the Nuremberg Code to define the ethics of modern medical experimentation utilizing human subjects. Since its enunciation, the Code has been viewed as one of the cornerstones of modern bioethical thought. The sources and ramifications of this important document are thoroughly discussed in this book by a distinguished roster of contemporary professionals from the fields of history, philosophy, medicine, and law. Contributors also include the chief prosecutor of the Nuremberg Military Tribunal and a survivor of the Mengele twin experiments. The book sheds light on keenly debated issues of both science and jurisprudence, including the ethics of human experimentation; the doctrine of informed consent; and the Code's impact on today's international human rights agenda. The historical setting of the Code's creation, some modern parallels, and the current attitude of German physicians toward the crimes of the Nazi era are discussed in early chapters. The book progresses to a powerful account of the Doctors' Trial at Nuremberg, its resulting verdict, and the Code's development. The Code's contemporary influence on both American and international law is examined in its historical context and discussed in terms of its universality: Are the foundational ethics of the Code as valid today as when it was originally penned? The editors conclude with a chapter on foreseeable future developments and a proposal for an international covenant on human experimentation enforced by an international court. A major work in medical law and ethics, this volume provides stimulating, provocative reading for physicians, legal professionals, bioethicists, historians, biomedical researchers, and concerned laypersons.
- Mengele, Josef, -- 1911-1979.
- Human experimentation in medicine -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Human experimentation in medicine -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.
- Medical ethics -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.
- Nuremberg Medical Trial, Nuremberg, Germany, 1946-1947.
- National socialism and medicine.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities.
- Ethics, Medical -- history -- Germany -- Legislation.
- Human Experimentation -- history -- Germany -- Legislation.
- War Crimes -- history -- Germany -- Legislation.
- Human Experimentation -- Germany -- Legislation.
- Expérimentation humaine en médecine -- Aspect moral.
- Experimentele geneeskunde.
- Ethische aspecten.
- Juridische aspecten.
- Expérimentation humaine en médecine -- Droit.
- National-socialisme et médecine.
- Crimes de guerre -- Procès -- Allemagne.
- Expérimentation humaine en médecine -- Allemagne -- Histoire.
- Éthique des médecins.
- Droits homme -- législation et jurisprudence.
- Consentement éclairé -- législation et jurisprudence.
- Medicine -- Ethics