Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
A New Companion to the Gothic
Hoboken : John Wiley & Sons,c2012
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9781444354928 1444354922 9781118396179 1118396170|
|Notes:||Description based upon print version of record.|
|Description:||1 online resource (549 p.)|
|Contents:||A NEW COMPANION TO THE GOTHIC; Contents; Notes on Contributors; Acknowledgments; Introduction: The Ghost of a History; Part I: Gothic Backgrounds; 1: In Gothic Darkly: Heterotopia, History, Culture; 2: The Goths in History and Pre-Gothic Gothic; 3: Gothic Shakespeare; 4: European Gothic; 5: The Gothic Ballad; Part II: The Original Gothic; 6: Ann Radcliffe and Matthew Lewis; 7: Mary Shelley, Author of; 8: Walter Scott, James Hogg, and Scottish Gothic; 9: Irish Gothic: C. R. Maturin and J. S. LeFanu; 10: The Political Culture of Gothic Drama Part III: Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Transformations11: Nineteenth-Century American Gothic; 12: The Ghost Story; 13: Gothic in the 1890s; 14: Fictional Vampires in the Nineteenth and Twentieth; 15: Horror Fiction: In Search of a Definition; 16: Love Bites: Contemporary Women's Vampire Fictions; 17: Gothic Film; 18: Shape and Shadow: On Poetry and the Uncanny; Part IV: Gothic Theory and Genre; 19: Gothic Criticism; 20: The Gothic Sublime; 21: Psychoanalysis and the Gothic; 22: Comic Gothic; 23: Gothic and the Graphic Novel; 24: Goth Culture; Part V: The Globalization of Gothic 25: Global Gothic26: Australian Gothic; 27: New Zealand Gothic; 28: Canadian Gothic; 29: Asian Gothic; 30: Japanese Gothic; Part VI: The Continuing Debate; 31: Can You Forgive Her? The Gothic Heroine and Her Critics; 32: Picture This: Stephen King's Queer Gothic; 33: Seeing Things: Gothic and the Madness of Interpretation; 34: The Gothic Ghost of the Counterfeit and the Progress of Abjection; 35: The Magical Realism of the Contemporary Gothic; 36: Welcome the Coming, Speed the Parting Guest: Hospitality and the Gothic; Index;|
|Series Title:||Blackwell companions to literature and culture, 79.|
|Responsibility:||edited by David Punter.|
"The Gothic is now ubiquitous in post-millennial American popular culture, according to Victoria Nelson." ( Times Literary Supplement , 16 November 2012) Reviews for the previous edition "The obvious
- Horror tales, English -- History and criticism.
- Gothic revival (Literature) -- English-speaking countries.
- Psychoanalysis and literature -- English-speaking countries.
- Horror tales, American -- History and criticism.
- Psychological fiction -- History and criticism.
- Ghost stories -- History and criticism.
- Ghost stories - History and criticism.
- Gothic revival (Literature) - English-speaking countries.
- Horror tales, American - History and criticism.
- Horror tales, English - History and criticism.
- Psychoanalysis and literature - English-speaking countries.
- Psychological fiction - History and criticism.
- LITERARY CRITICISM / European / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh
- Gothic novel.