Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Next of kin.
New York : Rizzoli, 1996
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0847819299 9780847819294 0847819922 9780847819928|
|Description:||160 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 31 cm.|
|Contents:||1. The Bait in the Big Tank: The Barosaurus Mount in Roosevelt Memorial Hall --
2. The Opening Act: The Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Orientation Center --
3. Building the Vertebrate Body: The Hall of Vertebrate Origins --
4. Are All Dinosaurs Really Extinct? The Hall of Saurischian Dinosaurs --
5. The Exit of Large Dinosaurs: The Hall of Ornithischian Dinosaurs --
6. Our Roots Are as Old as the Dinosaurs: The Lila Acheson Wallace Wing of Mammals and Their Extinct Relatives --
7. What's the Point?
This modification illustrates the contemporary approach to evolution that readers will learn about called cladistics, which establishes animal relationships based on unique shared anatomical changes that were inherited over the course of time. The Museum galleries are organized to reflect how this approach has been used to reconstruct the family tree of vertebrate evolution: walking along the main pathway through the fossil halls is like walking along the trunk of the vertebrate evolutionary tree.