|提及的人：||Joseph Grégoire de Roulhac Hamilton; John W Holland; McDowell family.; Eliza G McDowell Woodfin; Nicholas Washington Woodfin; Woodfin family.|
Nicholas Washington Woodfin
|注意：||In the Southern Historical Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (#1689).|
|描述：||ca. 150 items (0.5 linear feet)|
The papers include photocopies of deeds, legal papers, very scattered family and political correspondence, clippings, and speeches on agriculture, and other items of Buncombe County, N.C., lawyer and legislator Nicholas Washington Woodfin, his wife Eliza G. McDowell Woodfin, and other family members, chiefly 1840s-1870s. Included are a photocopy of the bill of auction for the Woodfin Mansion House and Grounds in Asheville, N.C., to be sold 13 August 1879, and a biographical sketch of Woodfin written by J.G. de Roulhac Hamilton in February 1950. There are also photocopies of county deeds; family and business letters; Civil War letters; obituaries; clippings; indenturies; estate papers; family history materials; remarks made at a presentation of Woodfin's portrait in Asheville in 1950; land warrant from Governor Patrick Henry to William Gibbs (apparently unrelated to the rest of the collection); three letters, 1853-1855, from slaves or ex-slaves who had gone to California with members of the family to work in the gold fields; letters of John W. Holland, including a few dated 1898-1901 when he was serving in the United States Army in the Philippines; and an original 1862 letter from Woodfin to Governor Clarke about the defense of eastern Tennessee.
- African Americans -- California -- History -- 19th century.
- Agriculture -- Experimentation -- History -- 19th century.
- Agriculture -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- Buncombe County (N.C.) -- History.
- Buncombe County (N.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- California -- Gold discoveries.
- Confederate States of America -- Officials and employees.
- Confederate States of America -- Politics and government.
- Confederate States of America -- Social conditions.
- Families -- North Carolina -- Social life and customs.
- Gold mines and mining -- California -- History -- 19th century.
- Hamilton, Joseph Grégoire de Roulhac, -- 1878-1961.
- Henderson County (N.C.) -- History.
- Holland, John W.
- Lawyers -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- Legislators -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- McDowell family.
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- North Carolina -- Politics and government.
- Slavery -- North Carolina.
- Slaves -- Correspondence.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence.
- Spanish-American War, 1898.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- United States. -- Army -- Military life.
- Woodfin, Eliza G. McDowell, -- fl. 1850-1870.
- Woodfin, Nicholas Washington, -- 1810-1876.
- Woodfin family.