Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Congressional committee records
Trials, litigation, etc
|Named Person:||David L Bazelon; Hugo LaFayette Black; Harry A Blackmun; Derek Curtis Bok; Leonard Boudin; Robert Braucher; William J Brennan; Stephen G Breyer; William F Buckley, Jr.; Gillian Caldwell; Roy M Cohn; Oscar K Davis; Norman Dorsen; William O Douglas; Thomas F Eagleton; Abe Fortas; Leon Friedman; Stephen Gillers; Ira Glasser; John M Harlan; Christie Heffner; Nat Hentoff; Jacob K Javits; Edward Moore Kennedy; Robert F Kennedy; Dorothy Kenyon; Aram J Kevorkian; Koch; Sylvia A Law; Anthony Lewis; Calvert Magruder; Burke Marshall; Joseph McCarthy; George Mitchell; Aryeh Neier; Michael H Posner; Alan Reitman; Stanford G Ross; David Rudovsky; John Paul Stevens; Potter Stewart; Earl Warren; Joseph N Welch; Elizabeth Wickenden; Shirley Wilder; J Skelly Wright; Melvin Wulf|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
David L Bazelon; Hugo LaFayette Black; Norman Dorsen; Potter Stewart; American Trial Lawyers Association,
|Description:||42 linear ft. (42 boxes)|
Series II: Public statements, appearances, and testimonies. Correspondence, newspaper clippings, and other documentation related to Norman Dorsen's statements to the press (including opinion editorials and letters-to-the-editor) and personal appearances at debates, panel discussions, conferences, etc., as well as drafts and final texts of testimony given before the U.S. Congress, its various subcommittees, and before independent public commissions.
Series III: Writings, lectures, speeches, and conferences. Correspondence and other documents related to the research, writing, and publication of Dorsen's articles, books, lectures, papers, and speeches, as well as documentation of conferences in which Dorsen participated, including post-conference editorial work. Note that files on conferences organized by the Committee for Public Justice and the Hays Civil Liberties Program are contained in Series IV and V.
Series IV: Subject files. Files in this series contains correspondence, records, and other documentation of Dorsen's participation in or observation of American and international civil liberties issues as well as organizations devoted to public action in defense of civil liberties or in favor of their expansion. Also included are files less directly connected to civil liberties issues, such as the following: those related to Dorsen's participation in electoral, legislative, related parliamentary processes, and judicial appointments; Dorsen's work in the Office of the Department Counselor of the Office of the Secretary of the Army, including, notably, records related to the Army-McCarthy hearings of April-June 1954; Dorsen's work on committee of the New York City and State Bar Associations; and records from the founding of the Society of American Law Teachers, from Dorsen's 1973-1975 presidency.
Series V: Arthur Garfield Hays Civil Liberties Program. Articles, conferences, projects, reports, and research from this institution. The Hays Annual Reports provide summaries of the Hays Programs and Dorsen's own civil liberties activity during the years indicated. Hays Legal Services files comprise a large part of this series, containing records and reports of legal research on behalf of numerous civil rights-related defendants and litigants.
Series VI: Private legal work. This series gathers all correspondence, documents, and records related to Norman Dorsen's private legal work on civil liberties cases (not including those done as part of the Hays Legal Services Program, which are found in Series V).
Series VII: Audio-visual materials. Recordings documenting some of Dorsen's speeches and radio and television appearances.
- Bazelon, David L.
- Black, Hugo LaFayette, -- 1886-1971.
- Blackmun, Harry A. -- (Harry Andrew), -- 1908-1999.
- Bok, Derek Curtis.
- Boudin, Leonard, -- 1912-1989.
- Braucher, Robert.
- Brennan, William J., -- 1906-1997.
- Breyer, Stephen G., -- 1938-
- Buckley, William F., -- Jr., -- 1925-2008.
- Caldwell, Gillian.
- Cohn, Roy M.
- Davis, Oscar K.
- Dorsen, Norman.
- Douglas, William O. -- (William Orville), -- 1898-1980.
- Eagleton, Thomas F., -- 1929-2007.
- Fortas, Abe.
- Friedman, Leon.
- Gillers, Stephen, -- 1943-
- Glasser, Ira.
- Harlan, John M. -- (John Marshall), -- 1899-1971.
- Heffner, Christie.
- Hentoff, Nat.
- Javits, Jacob K. -- (Jacob Koppel), -- 1904-1986.
- Kennedy, Edward Moore, -- 1932-
- Kennedy, Robert F., -- 1925-1968.
- Kenyon, Dorothy, -- 1888-1972.
- Kevorkian, Aram J.
- Koch, -- 1924-
- Law, Sylvia A.
- Lewis, Anthony, -- 1927-2013.
- Magruder, Calvert, -- 1893-1968.
- Marshall, Burke, -- 1922-2003.
- McCarthy, Joseph, -- 1908-1957.
- Mitchell, George.
- Neier, Aryeh, -- 1937-
- Posner, Michael H.
- Reitman, Alan.
- Ross, Stanford G.
- Rudovsky, David.
- Stevens, John Paul, -- 1920-
- Stewart, Potter.
- Warren, Earl, -- 1891-1974.
- Welch, Joseph N., -- 1890-1960.
- Wickenden, Elizabeth, -- 1909-
- Wilder, Shirley -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Wright, J. Skelly.
- Wulf, Melvin.
- American Trial Lawyers Association.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
- American Association of University Professors.
- Abe Beame Task Force on Human Rights.
- American Bar Association.
- American Civil Liberties Union.
- American Jewish Committee.
- American Jewish Congress.
- Arthur Garfield Hays Civil Liberties Program.
- Battery Park City Authority.
- British Institute of Human Rights.
- Center for International Policy (Washington, D.C.)
- Citizens' Board of Inquiry into Hunger and Malnutrition in the United States.
- Committee for Public Justice (U.S.)
- Congress of Racial Equality.
- Emergency Civil Liberties Committee.
- Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies.
- Food and Drug Law Institute (U.S.)
- Harvard Law School.
- International League for the Rights of Man.
- Lawyers Committee for Human Rights (U.S.)
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
- National Coalition against Censorship (U.S.)
- National Council for Civil Liberties (Great Britain)
- Native American Rights Fund.
- New York (N.Y.). -- Commission on the Status of Women.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
- New York (N.Y.). -- Court of Appeals.
- New York Civil Liberties Union.
- New York State Bar Association.
- New York University.
- New York University. -- School of Law.
- North American Religious Liberties Association.
- United States. -- Department of the Army.
- Pantheon Books.
- Project on Social Welfare Law (New York University. School of Law)
- Random House (Firm)
- Right-to-Sing Committee (New York, N.Y.)
- Ripon College.
- Rosenthal and Rosenthal.
- Society of American Law Teachers.
- American Civil Liberties Union. -- Southern California Branch.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Washington.
- United States Commission on Civil Rights.
- United States. -- Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. -- Review Panel on New Drug Regulation.
- United States. -- Food and Drug Administration.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Un-American Activities.
- United States. -- Congress. -- Senate.
- Village Independent Democrats (New York, N.Y.)
- Army-McCarthy Controversy, 1954.
- Bar associations -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Bar associations -- New York (State)
- Civil rights -- United States.
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Constitutional law -- United States -- Cases.
- Constitutional law -- United States -- History.
- Constitutional law -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Foster children -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Human rights -- Cuba.
- Human rights -- Philippines.
- Human rights workers.
- Human rights advocacy -- United States.
- Law -- Israel -- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Law -- New York (State) -- New York -- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Law -- Puerto Rico -- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Law teachers -- United States.
- Lawyers -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Lawyers -- United States.
- Social security -- United States -- Evaluation.