Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Elizabeth H Pleck
|ISBN:||9780226671031 0226671038 9780226671048 0226671046|
|Description:||290 pages : 15 plates ; 24 cm|
Night falls in Miami Beach --
Welfare rights --
Coed facing expulsion, 1968 --
From Sheboygan to Madison --
Alternative lifestyle --
Mothers on trial --
Get married or move out --
Domestic partnerships --
|Responsibility:||Elizabeth H. Pleck.|
"The late twentieth century has seen a fantastic expansion of personal, sexual, and domestic liberties in the United States. In Not Just Roommates, Elizabeth H. Pleck explores the rise of cohabitation, and the changing social norms that have allowed cohabitation to become the chosen lifestyle of more than fifteen million Americans. Despite this growing social acceptance, Pleck contends that when it comes to the law, cohabitors have been, and continue to be, treated as second-class citizens, subjected to discriminatory laws, limited privacy, a lack of political representation, and little hope for change. Because cohabitation is not a sexual identity, Pleck argues, cohabitors face the legal discrimination of a population with no group identity, no civil rights movement, no legal defense organizations, and, often, no consciousness of being discriminated against. Through in-depth research in written sources and interviews, Pleck shines a light on the emergence of cohabitation in American culture, its complex history, and its unpleasant realities in the present day"--Provided by publisher.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Unmarried couples -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Unmarried couples -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Discrimination against unmarried couples -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Common law marriage -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Common law marriage.
- Discrimination against unmarried couples.
- Unmarried couples.
- Unmarried couples -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- United States.
- Eheähnliche Gemeinschaft.
User lists with this item (5)
- New Titles Spring 2013(259 items)
by ngahl updated 2013-05-16
- New Books February 2013-VU Library(17 items)
by maawilson updated 2013-02-19
- Books to buy(95 items)
by pumashen updated 2013-02-02
- Things to Check Out(2 items)
by kepolloc updated 2012-12-05
- NEH/History fall 2012(100 items)
by dsweeper updated 2012-09-14