Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Printed wrappers (Binding)
Authors' presentation inscriptions (Provenance)
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Peter Oxenbridge Thacher; Massachusetts. Grand Jury (Suffolk County); Massachusetts. Municipal Court (Boston); Dutton and Wentworth,
|Notes:||"Note. In the first of the following charges will be found some instructions to grand jurors, drawn from the revised statutes, on the performance of their duties;--with observaions on the provisions of law to guard a citizen from wrongful conviction;--also some remarks on the crimes which are in this commonwealth punished with death, and upon the right of government to inflict capital punishment. The second, which is published at the request of the present grand jury, relates to the crimes of larceny and embezzlement, cheating by false pretences, forgery, gambling, and selling lottery tickets not authorized by law. It contains some observations on the practice of wearing secret arms, and on the influence of the law in preserving the order and peace of society, and the security of individuals. To this is added a statement of the law relating to the exclusion of atheists from testifying in courts of justice."--verso of title page.
Last page blank.
|Description:||31,  p. ; 26 cm.|
|Responsibility:||By Peter Oxenbridge Thacher, judge of that court.|
- Grand jury -- Massachusetts -- Suffolk County.
- Criminal procedure -- Massachusetts.
- Capital punishment -- Massachusetts.
- Embezzlement -- Massachusetts.
- Fraud -- Massachusetts.
- Forgery -- Massachusetts.
- Gambling -- Massachusetts.
- Lotteries -- Massachusetts.
- Firearms -- Law and legislation -- Massachusetts.
- Atheists -- Massachusetts.
- Capital punishment.
- Criminal procedure.
- Firearms -- Law and legislation.
- Grand jury.
- Massachusetts -- Suffolk County.