Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Somé, Malidoma Patrice, 1956-
Of water and the spirit.
New York : Putnam, c1994
|Named Person:||Malidoma Patrice Somé; Malidoma Patrice Somé; Malidoma Patrice Somé|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Malidoma Patrice Somé
|Notes:||"A Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam book."|
|Description:||311 p. ; 24 cm.|
|Responsibility:||Malidoma Patrice Somé.|
His only hope of reconnection with his people was to undergo the harrowing Dagara monthlong initiation in the wilderness, which he describes in fascinating detail. Malidoma emerged from this supernatural ritual a newly integrated individual, rejoined to his ancestral past and his cultural present. For more than a century, anthropologists and ethnologists have attempted to penetrate the worldview of indigenous peoples. Now a true son of Africa has come forth, with the permission of his tribal elders, to tell us with stunning candor about their way of life. Today Malidoma flys the jetways writing on his laptop computer, seeking to share the ancient wisdom of the Dagara with the rest of the world and bring an understanding of another way of life to his village. His book is a courageous testament to the hope that humanity can learn to live in a global village and see the "stranger" as a friend.
- Somé, Malidoma Patrice, -- 1956-
- Dagaaba (African people) -- Biography.
- Shamans -- Burkina Faso -- Biography.
- Dagaaba (African people) -- Religion.
- Dagaaba (African people) -- Rites and ceremonies.
- Shamanism -- Burkina Faso -- Autobiography.
- Somé, Malidoma Patrice -- (1956-).
- Dagari (peuple d'Afrique) -- Biographies.
- Chamanisme -- Burkina Faso.
- Dagari (peuple d'Afrique) -- Religion.
- Dagari (peuple d'Afrique) -- Rites et cérémonies.
- Dagaaba (African people) -- Biography
- Dagaaba (African people) -- Religion
- Dagaaba (African people) -- Rites and ceremonies
- Shamans -- Burkina Faso -- Biography
- Somé, Malidoma Patrice -- 1956-