Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Charles Allom, Sir; Elsie De Wolfe; Joseph Duveen Duveen, Baron; Adelaide Howard Childs Frick; Helen Clay Frick; Henry Clay Frick; Thomas Hastings; D B Kinch|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Henry Clay Frick
|Description:||12.8 linear feet (27 boxes)|
Series I through IV in this collection directly concern the construction of One East 70th Street. These papers give insight into the bidding and awarding of contracts, construction progress, auditing of accounts, and billing disputes. Correspondence of architect Thomas Hastings and his firm, Carrère and Hastings, construction superintendent D.B. Kinch, and Frick secretary F.W. McElroy appear frequently in these papers. Series V documents furnishings for the house, including carpets, draperies, furniture and decorative arts, wall coverings, light fixtures, and mantelpieces. Files of Elsie de Wolfe and White, Allom & Co. comprise the bulk of this series, although purchases from Duveen Brothers, E.R. Bacon, Jacques Seligmann, and others are documented as well.
The last two series (VII and VIII) are devoted to postconstruction and estate matters, staffing, and family activities. They include inventories, additions such as the proposed sculpture gallery and Frick Art Reference Library, volumes documenting payroll, employee service, and household expenditures, and daily diaries of household events.
- Allom, Charles, -- Sir, -- 1865-1947.
- De Wolfe, Elsie, -- 1865-1950.
- Duveen, Joseph Duveen, -- Baron, -- 1869-1939.
- Frick, Adelaide Howard Childs, -- 1859-1931 -- Homes and haunts -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Frick, Helen Clay, -- 1888-1984 -- Homes and haunts -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Frick, Henry Clay, -- 1849-1919 -- Homes and haunts -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Hastings, Thomas, -- 1860-1929.
- Kinch, D.B.
- Carrère & Hastings.
- Duveen Brothers.
- Art -- Collectors and collecting -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Decorative arts -- Collectors and collecting -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Mansions -- New York (State) -- New York.