Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
|Material Type:||Government publication, National government publication, Videorecording|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Shelley Tepperman; Germaine Ying Gee Wong; José Torrealba; National Film Board of Canada.
This video is based on the Paul Jackson book, Courting Homosexuals in the Military.
|Credits:||Editors: Antoine Saad, JoseÌ Torrealba.|
|Description:||1 videodisc (52 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.|
|Responsibility:||direction and cinematography, José Torrealba ; narration written by Shelley Tepperman ; producer, Germaine Ying Gee Wong.|
"Soldiers and officers who depended upon one another for survival accepted each other's differences. Initially, the Army overlooked homosexual activity, but as the war advanced, they began to crack down: military tribunals, threats of imprisonment, discharge and publlic exposure. After the war, officers accused of homosexuality were discharged. Back home in Canada, reputations and careers were ruined. For the young men who had served their country with valour, this final chapter was often too much to bear"--Container.
- Gay military personnel -- Canada -- History -- 20th century.
- Gay men -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Canada.
- Gay men -- Canada -- Social conditions -- 20th century.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Sources.
- Canada -- Armed Forces -- History -- World War, 1939-1945.
- Armed Forces.
- Gay men -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- Gay men -- Social conditions.
- Gay military personnel.