Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Carlos Almaraz; Joseph A Mugnaini; Roberto de la Rocha; Gilbert Sanchez Luján; Millard Sheets; Peter Voulkos|
|Material Type:||Audio book, etc., Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Sound Recording, Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Frank Romero; Jeffrey J Rangel
|Description:||Sound recordings: 5 sound cassettes (4 1/2 hrs.) : analog. Transcript: 99 p.|
Romero discusses his growing up in East Los Angeles and his large extended family; his earliest art studies in the public schools; attending the Otis Art Institute where he studied with Joe Mugnaini and had contact with Millard Sheets and Peter Voulkos; the "very polyglut culture" of East Los Angeles; the influences of television, western movies, rock-and-roll, and rhythm and blues on his early musical/artistic taste; time spent in New York; returning to Los Angeles in 1969; and his marriage and family.
He describes his move into Carlos Almaraz's house which became the informal meeting place of the artist group Los Four (Almaraz, Romero, Gilbert Sanchez Lujan, and Roberto "Beto" de la Rocha); the Los Four show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in 1974; and the stylistic aesthetics of Los Four.
Romero describes the "boys club" nature of Chicano art centers; his contributions to the Chicano art movement; his relationship to the Chicano/Mexican culture and mainstream U.S. culture; murals done by members of Los Four for the Inner City Mural Program; his work for the Metropolitan Transit Authority; the Murals of Aztlan exhibit in 1981 at the Craft and Folk Art Museum; and his shows at the ARCO Center for the Visual Arts. He concludes with his assessment of the Chicano arts movement, the relationship between economic and art cycles, and the role of the more established artists to those of a younger generation.
- Almaraz, Carlos.
- Mugnaini, Joseph A.
- Rocha, Roberto de la.
- Sanchez Luján, Gilbert.
- Sheets, Millard, -- 1907-1989.
- Voulkos, Peter, -- 1924-2002.
- Otis Art Institute -- Students.
- Painters -- California -- Los Angeles -- Interviews.
- Hispanic American artists -- Interviews.
- Mexican American artists -- California -- Los Angeles -- Interviews.
- Hispanic American artists.
- Mexican American art -- California -- Los Angeles.
- Los Four (Group of artists)
- Muralists -- California -- Los Angeles -- Interviews.
- Street art -- California -- Los Angeles -- Exhibitions.
- Mural painting and decoration -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century.