Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||H F Mark; Fritz Haber; Kurt H Meyer; Wallace Hume Carothers; Turner Alfrey|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
H F Mark; James J Bohning; Jeffrey L Sturchio; Chemical Heritage Foundation.
|Notes:||Interview conducted by James J. Bohning and Jeffrey L. Sturchio at Polytechnic University.|
|Description:||Sound files ; mp3 file Transcript : (117 leaves) ; 29 cm.|
|Series Title:||Chemical Heritage Foundation Oral History Transcript, 0030|
|Other Titles:||Herman Mark oral history interview.|
Mark's next move was to I.G. Farben, where he established a polymer laboratory. That was also where he first collaborated with Kurt Meyer, with whom he published the pioneering x--ray crystallographic structure of cellulose. Mark describes the laboratories, research directions, and colleagues during his stay at Ludwigshafen. The worsening political climate in Germany prompted Mark to accept a chair at his alma mater. Back in Vienna, he set up the first comprehensive polymer research and teaching institute. Mark concludes this interview by describing the circumstances of an approach from the Canadian International paper Company and his decision to leave Austria.
The Second interview details his experiences in the Canadian paper industry and his early ventures into publishing with the first of the Polymer Monograph series. Mark explains how he was able to resume an academic career by starting the polymer program at Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute which soon would become world renowned. Mark tells of his part in the formation of the literature of polymer science and technology: journals, monographs, reference books and encyclopedias. Finally Mark refers to his more recent research interests and describes the changes in research funding that have taken place during the past four decades.
- Mark, H. F. -- (Herman Francis), -- 1895-1992 -- Interviews.
- Haber, Fritz, -- 1868-1934.
- Meyer, Kurt H. -- (Kurt Heinrich), -- 1883-1952.
- Carothers, Wallace Hume, -- 1896-1937.
- Alfrey, Turner, -- 1918-
- Kaiser Wilhelm Institut für Chemie -- Faculty.
- Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie Aktiengesellschaft.
- Canadian International Paper Company.
- Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. -- Polymer Research Institute.
- Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn.
- Chemists -- United States -- Biography.
- Chemists -- United States -- Interviews.