Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||J Presper Eckert; Irven A Travis; George Skakel; Isaac L Auerbach|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Isaac L Auerbach; Bruce Bruemmer
|Notes:||Recorded in Narberth, Pa.|
|Description:||Sound cassettes : 7 (60 min. each) : analog, mono. Transcript : 104 p. Computer data (1 file : 222K)|
He describes a number of projects he managed at Burroughs, including computer equipment for the SAGE project, BEAM I computer, the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile System, a magnetic core encryption communications system, and a missile guidance computer used for the Atlas missile. Auerbach comments on his management of the Defense, Space and Special Products Division, the general management of Burroughs, and his decision to leave the company. He outlines the establishment of Auerbach Electronics (later Auerbach Associates), one of the first computer consulting firms, and describes initial contacts with RCA (for the BMEWS system), Honeywell, Leeds and Northrup, and Hot Shoppes (Marriott). He describes the growth of the company and other ventures such as Standard Computer Corporation (computer leasing), International Systems (data processing system for parimutuel betting developed with George Skakel of Great Lakes Carbon Corporation), and Auerbach Publishers, a successful venture that became known for its computer product reviews. He describes his concern with military and government contracts, the sale of Auerbach Associates in 1976 to the Calculon Corporation, and his subsequent consulting activity. He concludes with a discussion of his work with the International Federation for Information Processing, the American Federation of Information Processing Societies, and his philanthropic work primarily in the Philadelphia area and Israel.
- Eckert, J. Presper -- (John Presper), -- 1919-1995.
- Travis, Irven A., -- 1904-
- Skakel, George, -- ca. 1922-1966.
- Auerbach Corporation. -- History.
- Auerbach Associates -- History.
- Auerbach Publishers. -- History.
- Burroughs Corporation -- History.
- Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Honeywell-Auerbach Computer Services.
- International Federation for Information Processing.
- International Systems Corporation -- History.
- American Federation of Information Processing Societies.
- Computer service industry.
- Computer industry -- History.
- Electronic data processing consultants.
- Electronic data processing -- Societies, etc.
- Philanthropists -- Philadelphia.
- Military art and science -- Data processing.
- Auerbach, Isaac L. -- (Isaac Levin), -- 1921-1992.