Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Brock, George, 1951-
Out of print.
London ; New York : Kogan Page Limited, 2013
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780749466527 0749466529 1299794858 9781299794856|
|Description:||1 online resource (xii, 244 pages)|
|Contents:||About the author; Acknowledgements; Introduction: from ink to link; 01 Communicating whatever we please; Messy, unethical and opinionated origins; Select and noteworthy happenings; An explosion of opinion; Playing with fire; 'Bible, ax and newspapers'; A brief flowering; The world's great informer; Every species of intelligence; 02 Furnishing the world with a new set of nerves; A great moral organ; The true Church of England; The Steam Intellect Society; We are all learning to move together; A vast agora; I order five virgins; The few dozen lines of drivel; A press typhoon. The waning power of the harlot03 The gilded age; A fluid mass; The brute force of monopoly; Sorrow, sorrow, ever more; A well-conducted press; 'So will it be goodbye to Fleet Street?'; I really loathe people with power; Deregulation; Boom and decline; Owners, news and celebrity; 04 The engine of opportunity; Chain reaction; Utopia or dystopia?; What the internet does to the business of news; 05 Rethinking journalism again; Complexity; Frontiers fade and vanish; Ink marks on squashed trees; Comparison and choice; The downside risks of choice; Authority; Manipulation; Objectivity under strain. The advantages and drawbacks of institutionsThe management of abundance; New media and change: a case study; Conclusion; 06 The business model crumbles; Over a cliff; Print is not dead; Palliative care for print; Flipping to digital; Making people pay: walls and meters; The demand for news; What we don't know about online news; 07 Credibility crumbles; Newsroom culture; Operation Motorman; Phone hacking; 'Quality' and 'seriousness'; Trust and authority; A spell is broken; 08 The Leveson judgement; Diagnosis; Prescription; A third way; Regulation's future; Plurality. 09 Throwing spaghetti at the wallFour core tasks; We were having journalistic moments!; Error is useful; 10 Clues to the future; Business models; From the ashes of dead trees; Index.|
"When George Brock talks, in his excellent book, about the "disruption" of the net, the atomisation of news and opinion, he evokes echoes of a different era: an unruly world of vituperation,
- Newspaper publishing -- Great Britain -- Finance.
- Newspaper publishing -- United States -- Finance.
- Newspaper publishing -- Economic aspects -- Great Britain.
- Newspaper publishing -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- Online journalism -- Economic aspects -- Great Britain.
- Online journalism -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- Press -- Economic aspects -- Great Britain.
- Press -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- Digital media -- Economic aspects -- Great Britain.
- Digital media -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Industries -- Media & Communications Industries.
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES -- Journalism.
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES -- Publishing.