|提及的人：||Edmund Hope Verney; Edmund Hope Verney; Heber C Kimball; Brigham Young; Heber C Kimball; Edmund Hope Verney; Brigham Young|
|材料类型：||传记, 手稿, 互联网资源|
Edmund Hope Verney
Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, MSS SC 2217. 1 item (49 p.).
|详述：||System requirements: Internet connectivity. World Wide Web browser.; Mode of access: World Wide Web.|
Handwritten copy of an article published in the "Good Words and Sunday Magazine" on 1 June 1866 (vol. 7, pp. 380-393). After serving as a gunboat captain in British Columbia, Verney made the overland journey by stage coach from San Francisco, California to New York City in 1865. Verney was a well-educated traveler and his description of the overland route is extensive. Stage coach traveling was exhausting and Verney describes both the rough conditions and his fellow travelers. Trouble with Indians pervaded. Verney made an extended visit to Salt Lake City and met with Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball. While unimpressed with Mormonism, he approved of Salt Lake City. The piece ends with Verney at the Fifth Avenue Hotel, New York City.
- Verney, Edmund Hope, -- 1838-1910 -- Diaries.
- Great Britain. -- Royal Navy -- Officers -- Diaries.
- Verney, Edmund Hope, -- 1838-1910 -- Views on Mormons.
- Kimball, Heber C. -- (Heber Chase), -- 1801-1868.
- Young, Brigham, -- 1801-1877.
- Overland journeys to the Pacific.
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel.
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Description and travel.
- Verney, Edmund Hope, -- 1838-1910.
- Great Britain. -- Royal Navy.
- Armed Forces -- Officers.
- United States, West.
- Utah -- Salt Lake City.