Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Levi Allen; Stephen Thorne; Nancy Allen; Jerusha Allen; James Whitelaw|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ira Allen; Henry Stevens
A good deal of family correspondence is contained in the collection including many letters from Levi Allen who frequently signs his letters "Bumper B" or "D'Alonzo." Letters to and from Jerusha and Nancy Allen (Levi's wife) are found as well. Folders 4-6 in box 3 contain the letters of Stephen Thorne who was responsible for chartering the "Olive Branch" in France and helped in the editing of Allen's "History of Vermont".
Boxes 7-9 contain many land and business papers as well as accounts of what arms were aboard the "Olive Branch". A number of lawsuits against Allen before and after his imprisonment are evidenced in the collection and one broadside dated 1792 exposes Allen as having many debts of which he is not able to pay (Box 8 Folder 4).
As a whole, the collection documents the rise and fall of Allen's political and personal fortunes from his entrance into Vermont to his return to the state after his European imprisonment.
- Allen, Levi, -- 1745-1801.
- Thorne, Stephen.
- Allen, Nancy.
- Allen, Jerusha.
- Whitelaw, James.
- Lake Champlain-Saint Lawrence River Canal.
- Vermont. -- Treasurer.
- Vermont. -- Surveyor General.
- Vermont. -- Secretary of the State Council.
- Vermont. -- Legislature.
- University of Vermont.
- Military assistance, French -- Vermont.
- Prisoners -- France.
- Prisoners -- England.
- Canals -- New York State.
- Canals -- Canada.
- Great Britain -- History -- 1789-1820.
- France -- History -- First Republic, 1792-1804.
- Vermont -- Commerce.
- Vermont -- History -- To 1791.
- Vermont -- Politics and government -- 1775-1865.
- Vermont -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- Vermont -- History -- 1775-1865.
- Debtor and creditor -- Vermont.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- France -- 1797-1801.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- England -- 1797-1801.
- Canada -- Commerce.
- Vermont -- Boundaries.
- Olive Branch (ship)