Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Richard Watson Gilder; Helena de Kay Gilder; William H Gilder; Gilder family.; De Kay family.; Richard Watson Gilder; Augustus Saint-Gaudens; Winslow Homer; Mark Twain; Clara Clemens; Frances Folsom Cleveland; Cecilia Beaux; Mary Hallock Foote; John Burroughs; Emma Calvé; Mary Mapes Dodge; Anna Harriette Leonowens; Edward Eggleston; John La Farge; James Whitcomb Riley; Booker T Washington; Robert Todd Lincoln|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Richard Watson Gilder; Helena de Kay Gilder; William H Gilder; Augustus Saint-Gaudens; Winslow Homer; Mark Twain; Clara Clemens; Frances Folsom Cleveland; Cecilia Beaux; Mary Hallock Foote; John Burroughs; Emma Calvé; Mary Mapes Dodge; James Whitcomb Riley; Anna Harriette Leonowens; Edward Eggleston; John La Farge; Booker T Washington; Robert Todd Lincoln
|Description:||approximately 23,000 items|
|Other Titles:||Gilder mss
Much of the correspondence reflects the many friends and acquaintances who visited the Gilders at their Tyringham, Massachusetts home, as well as their private salon in New York. Correspondence includes letters from various artists, musicians, writers, poets, scientists and politicians, such as August Saint-Gaudens, Winslow Homer, Mark Twain, Clara Clemens (Twain's daughter), Frances Folsom Cleveland (Mrs. Grover Cleveland), Cecilia Beaux, Mary Hallock Foote, John Burroughs, Emma Calve, Mary Mapes Dodge, Edward Eggleston, John La Farge, Anna Harriette Leonowens (of "Anne and the King of Siam" fame), James Whitcomb Riley, Robert Todd Lincoln, and Booker T. Washington (a telegram about Grover Cleveland's funeral). The Writings series contains works of Richard and Helena, as well as many other writers and poets, including Phyllis de Kay Wheelock who wrote about the De Kay family, and extensive files of Rosamond Gilder's writings and research. Writings by William Henry Gilder (1838-1900) include articles on the Arctic and a description of his encounter with pirates. Many pencil and watercolor sketches and sketchbooks of Helena may be found in the Artwork series. A few other artists are represented, mostly family members, but include a few sketches by Mary Hallock Foote. An interesting joint diary of Helena and Richard, dated 1874-1888, may be found in the Diaries/Journals series. The Legal materials mostly concern estates and properties. Formal portraits of the Gilder family, friends and acquaintances, as well as snapshots taken on their various travels make up the Photographs series. The Miscellaneous series contains military-related items, including a report to Headquarters by surgeon Reuben Gilder concerning the dead and wounded from the Battle of Cowpens in 1781, a group of letters picked up from several Civil War battlefields by Richard's father William Henry Gilder, and paperwork reimbursing Richard's brother William Henry Gilder for the death of his horse at the Petersburg fight in 1864. From Richard's brother William Henry's Arctic explorations is a list of provisions, list of backers, map, and various printed items. There is extensive ephemera in the Miscellaneous series: concert and lecture programs, invitations to various events, brochures, maps, and menus. Realia of interest include: a lock of Helena's hair, dried flowers from John Keats' grave picked in 1884, a pencil used by Walt Whitman, and dried leaves collected in 1863 from the Bull Run battlefield.
- Gilder, Richard Watson, -- 1844-1909.
- Gilder, Helena de Kay, -- -1916.
- Gilder, William H. -- (William Henry), -- 1838-1900.
- Gilder family.
- De Kay family.
- Gilder, Richard Watson, -- 1844-1909 -- Correspondence.
- Saint-Gaudens, Augustus, -- 1848-1907 -- Correspondence.
- Homer, Winslow, -- 1836-1910 -- Correspondence.
- Twain, Mark, -- 1835-1910 -- Correspondence.
- Clemens, Clara -- Correspondence.
- Cleveland, Frances Folsom, -- 1864-1947 -- Correspondence.
- Beaux, Cecilia, -- 1855-1942 -- Correspondence.
- Foote, Mary Hallock, -- 1847-1938 -- Correspondence.
- Burroughs, John, -- 1837-1921 -- Correspondence.
- Calvé, Emma, -- 1858-1942 -- Correspondence.
- Dodge, Mary Mapes, -- 1830-1905 -- Correspondence.
- Leonowens, Anna Harriette, -- 1831-1915 -- Correspondence.
- Eggleston, Edward, -- 1837-1902 -- Correspondence.
- La Farge, John, -- 1835-1910 -- Correspondence.
- Riley, James Whitcomb, -- 1849-1916 -- Correspondence.
- Washington, Booker T., -- 1856-1915 -- Correspondence.
- Lincoln, Robert Todd, -- 1843-1926 -- Correspondence.
- Century magazine.
- Authors, American -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Artists -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Musicians -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Actors -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Cowpens, Battle of, Cowpens, S.C., 1781.
- South Carolina -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Campaigns.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration -- American.
- Travel writing -- 19th century.