Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Chiliah S Howe; Julia Ann Mira Pickens Howe; Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier Lafayette, marquis de; General William Lenoir; Israel Pickens; Julia Ann Mira Pickens; Martha Orilla Lenoir Pickens|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Pickens family.; Chiliab S Howe; Julia Mira Pickens Howe; General Williams Lenoir; Israel Pickens; Martha Orilla Lenoir Pickens; Thomas A Rogers
|Description:||.66 cubic ft. (2 archives containers and 1 oversized container)|
Only half the collection contains Israel Pickens' papers, and the records discuss such topics as family matters, living in Washington, D.C. while he was a congressman, political issues, embargoes, banks, the War of 1812, taxation, Ala. politics, his business interests, living in St. Stephens, the Tombigbee River, farming, 19th century education, Lafayette's visit to Ala., postal routes, foreign relations, and various financial and business transactions including the selling and buying of slaves.
The remainder of the collection consists mainly of transcribed letters written to and by various family members who discuss such topics as education, farming and plantation matters, slave sales, travels, yellow fever, cotton market, Ala. politics, legal matters as well as a variety of real estate transactions, runaway slaves, family concerns, and estate settlement.
- Howe, Chiliah S.
- Howe, Julia Ann Mira Pickens.
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, -- marquis de, -- 1757-1834.
- Lenoir, General William, -- 1751-1839.
- Pickens, Israel, -- 1780-1827.
- Pickens, Julia Ann Mira, -- 1815-1898.
- Pickens, Martha Orilla Lenoir, -- 1792-1823.
- University of Alabama.
- African Americans -- Alabama.
- African Americans -- Alabama -- History -- To 1863.
- Banks and banking -- Alabama.
- Cotton growing -- Alabama.
- Cotton trade -- Alabama.
- Education -- Alabama.
- Farm management -- Alabama.
- Farmers -- Alabama.
- Plantation life -- Alabama.
- Politics, Practical.
- Postal service -- Alabama.
- Slavery -- United States -- Alabama.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 1812-1815.
- Alabama -- Description and travel.
- Alabama -- Economic conditions.
- Alabama -- Politics and government.
- Alabama -- Social life and customs.