|提及的人：||William Allen; Ralph Waldo Emerson; Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; Theodore Parker; Henry David Thoreau|
Nathaniel Hawthorne; Hawthorne family.; Nathaniel Hathorne; Elizabeth Clarke Manning Hawthorne; Sophia Peabody Hawthorne; Una Hawthorne; Julian Hawthorne
|注意：||In part, transcripts and photocopies.|
|描述：||3.25 linear ft. (2 envelopes and 8 boxes)|
Correspondence and other personal and professional papers of Hawthorne his father, Nathaniel Hathorne (1775-1808), mother, Elizabeth Clarke (Manning) Hawthorne (1780-1849), his wife, Sophia (Peabody) Hawthorne (1811-1871), children, Una (1844-1877), Julian (1846-1934), and Rose (1851-1926), along with those of Rose's husband, George Parsons Lathrop (1851-1898), and Julian's daughter, Hildegarde Hawthorne. Includes a large number of letters written while Nathaniel Hawthorne was in Salem preparing for college and at Brunswick, Me., studying at Bowdoin College; handwritten issues of The Spectator, a small newspaper written and edited by Hawthorne before entering college; correspondence to his mother from college president William Allen concerning Hawthorne's gambling and card playing; and letters concerning the controversy over the use of the Pyncheon name in House of Seven Gables. Also contains information relating to Hawthorne's father, Nathaniel Hathorne, and financial records, warehousing papers, and receipts, of Salem Custom House, reflecting Hawthorne's employment there. Correspondents include Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Theodore Parker, and Henry David Thoreau.
- American literature -- 19th century.
- American fiction -- 19th century.
- Customs administration -- Massachusetts.
- Universities and colleges -- Maine.
- American newspapers -- Massachusetts.
- College presidents -- Maine.
- Customhouses -- Massachusetts.
- Allen, William, -- 1784-1866 -- Correspondence.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, -- 1803-1882. -- Correspondence.
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, -- 1807-1882 -- Correspondence.
- Parker, Theodore, -- 1810-1860 -- Correspondence.
- Thoreau, Henry David, -- 1817-1862 -- Correspondence.
- Bowdoin College.
- United States Custom House (Salem, Mass.)
- Massachusetts -- Newspapers, periodicals, and journalism.
- Salem (Mass.) -- Newspapers, periodicals, and journalism.
- Women -- Massachusetts -- Personal and other papers -- 19th century.
- Massachusetts -- Cultural affairs -- Literature.
- Salem (Mass.) -- Cultural affairs -- Literature.
- Concord (Mass.) -- Cultural affairs -- Literature.
- Maine -- Education -- Universities and colleges.
- Brunswick (Me.) -- Education -- Universities and colleges.
- Massachusetts -- Family and personal papers -- 19th century.
- Salem (Mass.) -- Family and personal papers.
- Concord (Mass.) -- Family and personal papers.
- Massachusetts -- Customs administration.
- Salem (Mass.) -- Customs administration.