Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||George Bancroft; Albert D Bolens; Stephen Bolles; George Boyd; William J Campbell; Thomas C Chamberlin; James Duane Doty; Lyman Copeland Draper; Lucius Fairchild; Walter S Goodland; Asa Gray; Edward Everett Hale, Sr.; Julian Hawthorn; Thomas Wentworth Higginson; Emerson Hough; Rupert Hughes; Frank Bateman Keefe; John Lawe; Samuel M Pedrick; James Gates Percival; Emanuel Lorenz Philipp; Gifford Pinchot; Michael K Reilly; Theodore Roosevelt; Edward Salomon; Philetus Sawyer; Henry Rowe Schoolcraft; William E Smith; Titus family.; Aaron Vanderpoel; Levi Edgar Young|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William A Titus
|Description:||5.2 c.f. (13 archives boxes) and 91 negatives.|
Political issues and interests are reflected in the correspondence between 1912 and 1930, a period in which Titus supported Theodore Roosevelt for the presidency in 1912, was a member of the Fond du Lac school board from 1914 to 1922, assailed Senator La Follette's opposition to the United States' intervention in World War I, served in the state senate from 1921 to 1929, and sought unsuccessfully to become superintendent of schools in Fond du Lac County, congressman, and Republican candidate for governor. Correspondents include several Wisconsin and national political figures.
As a collector of Indian artifacts from Mexico and the southwestern United States, Titus exchanged letters with other collectors. As a writer on state and local historical topics and a member of the Board of Curators of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, he carried on extensive correspondence with the directors and other staff members of the Society.
Titus also collected miscellaneous autograph letters and documents, most of which are dated prior to 1910. Among these are documents signed by George Boyd and Aaron Vanderpoel, James G. Percival, James D. Doty, and John Lawe; and letters signed by George Bancroft, T. C. Chamberlin, Lyman C. Draper, Lucius Fairchild, Asa Gray, Edward E. Hale, Julian Hawthorn, T. W. Higginson, Emerson Hough, Rupert Hughes, Edward Salomon, Philetus Sawyer, Henry R. Schoolcraft, and William E. Smith. Autographs scattered through the correspondence after 1910 include letters written by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1925), Joseph C. Lincoln (1925), and Harold Bell Wright (1917).
Some family letters are also found in the correspondence. During World War II a series of letters, 1943-1945, written by his son Robert, describe experiences in the United States Navy from boot camp to the occupation of Okinawa. A few other letters were written by a grandson, Donald W. Titus, a member of a tank corps in the Pacific area. In addition, the collection contains autobiographical manuscripts by William A. Titus giving his recollections and an appraisal of his life, especially his service as legislator and historian; manuscripts and research notes for some of his historical articles; speeches; and genealogical data on the Titus family.
The photographs in the collection document William A. Titus; his family and their homes in Fond du Lac, Wis., and Eden, Wis.; his work and co-workers at the Standard Lime and Stone Co.; and events in and around Fond du Lac, including a GAR parade, as well as events and people at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Also included are images of properties owned by Titus in other states and family vacations to the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. Additional images include Native American artifacts collected by Titus now in the collections of the Wisconsin Historical Museum.
- Bancroft, George, -- 1800-1891.
- Bolens, Albert D., -- 1861-1952.
- Bolles, Stephen, -- 1866-1941.
- Boyd, George, -- 1779?-1846.
- Campbell, William J., -- 1871-1956.
- Chamberlin, Thomas C. -- (Thomas Chrowder), -- 1843-1928.
- Doty, James Duane, -- 1799-1865.
- Draper, Lyman Copeland, -- 1815-1891.
- Fairchild, Lucius, -- 1831-1896.
- Goodland, Walter S. -- (Walter Samuel), -- 1862-1947.
- Gray, Asa, -- 1810-1888.
- Hale, Edward Everett, -- Sr., -- 1822-1909.
- Hawthorn, Julian.
- Higginson, Thomas Wentworth, -- 1823-1911.
- Hough, Emerson, -- 1857-1923.
- Hughes, Rupert, -- 1872-1956.
- Keefe, Frank Bateman, -- 1887-1952.
- Lawe, John, -- 1780-1846.
- Pedrick, Samuel M., -- 1868-1963.
- Percival, James Gates, -- 1795-1856.
- Philipp, Emanuel Lorenz, -- 1861-1925.
- Pinchot, Gifford, -- 1865-1946.
- Reilly, Michael K.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, -- 1887-1944.
- Salomon, Edward, -- 1828-1902.
- Sawyer, Philetus, -- 1816-1900.
- Schoolcraft, Henry Rowe, -- 1793-1864.
- Smith, William E. -- (William Ernest), -- 1843-1928.
- Titus family.
- Vanderpoel, Aaron, -- 1799-1870.
- Young, Levi Edgar, -- 1874-1963.
- Copper Belt Mines Company.
- Standard Lime and Stone Company (Fond du Lac, Wis.)
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
- Businessmen -- Wisconsin -- Fond du Lac.
- Legislators -- Wisconsin.
- Mineral industries -- Finance.
- Parades -- Wisconsin -- Fond du Lac.
- Real estate investment -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Real estate investment -- Wisconsin.
- Real estate investment -- Wisconsin -- Milwaukee.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American.
- Fond du Lac (Wis.)
- Wisconsin -- Politics and government.