Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Catharine Beatrice Durham Bateson; Gregory Bateson; John Bateson; Martin Bateson; Mary Bateson; William Bateson; William Henry Bateson; Bateson family.; John F W Herschel|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||ca. 2000 items (2 linear ft.).|
Although there is genealogical material and a few letters from William's father, William Henry Bateson, as well as material about Mary Bateson (historian), the bulk of the collection is correspondence between William, Catharine Beatrice Durham Bateson, and their three sons: John, Martin, and Gregory. The raising and schooling of the boys, their parents' advice and concerns, their investigations in botany and zoology, and their occasional assistance in their father's research, as well as the tragic deaths of John one month before armistice in October 1918 and Martin, who committed suicide in 1922, is all part of this correspondence.
- Bateson, Catharine Beatrice Durham.
- Bateson, Gregory, -- 1904-1980.
- Bateson, John, -- 1898-1918.
- Bateson, Martin, -- 1899-1922.
- Bateson, Mary, -- 1865-1906.
- Bateson, William, -- 1861-1926.
- Bateson, William Henry, -- 1812-1881.
- Bateson family.
- Herschel, John F. W. -- (John Frederick William), -- 1792-1871.
- Botany -- Research -- England.
- Genetics -- Research -- England.
- World War, 1914-1918.
- Zoology -- Research -- England.
- England -- Social life and customs -- 20th century.