Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Harry Eugene Eastman; Eastman family.; Arndt family.; John Penn Arndt; Benjamin F Eastman; Elizabeth Margaret Arndt Eastman; May Eastman; Alexander J Irwin|
|Material Type:||Biography, Manuscript|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Harry Eugene Eastman; Benjamin F Eastman; Elizabeth Margaret Arndt Eastman; May Eastman; Alexander J Irwin
|Notes:||Call number: Green Bay SC 87.|
|Description:||0.1 c.f. (1 folder)|
Sometimes referred to as "Eugene," Eastman was also the son-in-law of prominent Green Bay businessman John Penn Arndt. The collection includes letters between Eastman and family members, particularly from his brother Benjamin, and to and from his wife, Elizabeth Margaret Arndt, and daughter, May. Most of the letters date from the 1840s. Topics of interest include: politics in the Wisconsin Territory (March 5, 1837; December 16, 1839; January 30, 1840; December 4, 1843), reasons for emigration from Maine (August 1, 1839), and travel problems en route to Wisconsin (July 22, August 1, and September 16, 1839). The majority of the letters deal with domestic concerns, such as health, family squabbles, and business advice. There are also letters written by Eastman while serving in the Civil War. These letters discuss health problems; living conditions; family problems; slaves; and his duties, including taking command of the Second Wisconsin Cavalry, Sixteenth Infantry, Tenth Ohio, and a battery of artillery (October 17 and 27, 1863). Eastman wrote from Helena, Arkansas; Memphis, Tennessee; and Vicksburg, Snyders Bluff, and Redbone Church, Mississippi. Also included in the collection are a few letters to and from other family members, including a November 5, 1837 letter from Alexander Irwin to John Penn Arndt, discussing territorial politics and mentioning the schooner "Wisconsin." Other materials in the collection include genealogies of the Arndt and Eastman families.
- Eastman, Harry Eugene.
- Eastman family.
- Arndt family.
- Arndt, John Penn, -- 1780-1861.
- Eastman, Benjamin F. -- (Benjamin Franklin), -- 1800-1894.
- Eastman, Elizabeth Margaret Arndt.
- Eastman, May.
- Irwin, Alexander J. -- (Alexander Johnson), -- 1799-1847.
- United States. -- Army. -- Ohio Infantry Regiment, 10th (1861-1864)
- United States. -- Army. -- Wisconsin Cavalry Regiment, 2nd (1862-1865)
- United States. -- Army. -- Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 16th (1862-1865)
- Wisconsin (Schooner)
- Wisconsin -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Wisconsin -- History -- To 1848.
- Wisconsin -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950.