Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||George F Barker; Daniel Moreau Barringer; William Henry Bragg; Vannevar Bush; John A Brashear; William David Coolidge; Siegfried Czapski; Thomas A Edison; Wm H Greene; George Ellery Hale; Dugald C Jackson; James Jeans; William W Keen; Arthur E Kennelly; Irving Langmuir; Edward Mallinckrodt; Thomas Commerford Martin; Thomas Corwin Mendenhall; Dayton Clarence Miller; Paul Fleury Mottelay; William H Pickering; Harlow Shapley; Charles Proteus Steinmetz; David P Todd; Willis Rodney Whitney; David O Woodbury; Emil P Albrecht; Florence C Albrecht; William E Ayrton; Charles A Coffin; Robert E Crompton; George Washington Cutter; Lee De Forest; Francis X Dercum; Gano Dunn; John Adam Fleming; George Wattson Hewitt; H H Jeffcott; Alba Boardman Johnson; J J Littow; Jesse Robert Lovejoy; William Henry Meadowcroft; Charles Morgan, Sir.; Joseph Hyde Pratt; Henry Smith Pritchett; George W Riche; L Schuppmann; Monroe Benjamin Snyder; Henry Joshua Spooner; George Stockley; Samuel Wesley Stratton; George Stuart; Silvanus P Thomson|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||The collection is described by John L. Haney, "The Elihu Thomson Collection," American Philosophical Society Year Book 1944 and by W. Bernard Carlson, "The Elihu Thomson Papers: A Planning Report," photo-reproduced under the aegis of the University of Pennsylvania, Dept. of History and Sociology of Science, (Sept. 1980), iv & 83 p. (available in the APS Library).|
|Description:||18.5 linear ft.|
Series II (size unknown) is currently being processed (1996).
Series III (3.5 linear ft.) contains legal documents, reports, specifications on inventions and patents, blueprints, programs for scientific meetings and events, and materials relating to Thomson's industrial research and personal interests.
Series IV (1.5 linear ft.) contains autograph and typescript drafts, notes, comments, and page proofs on the subjects of electrical systems, welding, astronomy, and optics, among others.
Series V (1 linear ft.) contains school papers, autobiographical essays, poetry, short papers on ideas and inventions, and any works that were not identified as published.
Series VI (1 linear ft.) contains manuscript and typescript drafts of speeches, lectures, papers, and addresses given by Thomson at meetings of various professional scientific organizations and societies.
Series VII (2 linear ft.) contains the manuscript and typescript drafts and transcripts of works by Thomson's colleagues and others, including papers, reports, journal articles, speeches, and radio addresses. A large portion of the series is biographical, produced by Thomson's friends and colleagues after his death and originally stored in two boxes labeled "Biographical Material." The complete, original manuscript of David O. Woodbury's "Elihu Thomson, Beloved Scientist" (1944) is preserved in this series as well. There are several manuscript and typescript translations of historical works in the field of optics. Produced for Thomson's friend and fellow amateur telescope maker, George Wattson Hewitt, by Florence C. and Emil P. Albrecht, these translations date ca. 1901 and focus on the works of S. Czapski, J.J. Littow, and L. Schuppmann.
Series VIII (2 linear ft.) contains Thomson's high school notebooks from classes taken as a student, some industrial research notebooks, genealogy notebooks, and trip journals.
Series IX (1 linear ft.) contains pencil sketches of inventions and mechanical apparatus on individual sheets of assorted shapes, sizes, and types of papers. Several files of sketches by E.W. Rice, Jr., fellow inventor and business associate of Thomson, exist in a general chronological arrangement.
Series X (2 linear ft.) contains Thomson's manuscript comments and notes on his patents. Thomson describes and evaluates each invention, often detailing the slight variations and improvements in newer versions.
Series XI (1.5 linear ft.) contains black and white photographs in various sizes of Thomson, family members, professional associates, events, places, and Thomson's inventions and mechanical apparatus.
Series XII (.5 linear ft.) contains certificates that recognize Thomson's membership or election to many professional scientific organizations. Also in this series are three patent certificates issued to Thomson by the U.S. Patent Office.
Series XIII (.5 linear ft.) contains individual clippings arranged alphabetically by subject and scrapbooks of collected clippings. The clippings include obituaries (of Thomson and colleagues), wedding announcements for Thomson's second marriage, and biographical information on Thomson and his career. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings and a small amount of memorabilia and photographs.
Series XIV (.5 linear ft.) contains a variety of miscellaneous items collected by Thomson, his wife, and the original organizers of this collection at the APS. Several items in this series date from Thomson's youth, including his birth certificate (1853) and his Philadelphia Central High School commencement program (1870).
Series XV (ca. 1937-1943) is comprised of two subseries. Subseries A contains correspondence generated during the APS Library's attempt to collect Thomson letters from his colleagues after his death. Subseries B holds inventories of manuscripts that were produced as the papers were donated.
- Barker, George F. -- (George Frederick), -- 1835-1910.
- Barringer, Daniel Moreau, -- 1860-1929.
- Bragg, William Henry, -- 1862-1942.
- Bush, Vannevar, -- 1890-1974.
- Brashear, John A. -- (John Alfred), -- 1840-1920.
- Coolidge, William David, -- 1873-1975.
- Czapski, Siegfried, -- 1861-1907.
- Edison, Thomas A. -- (Thomas Alva), -- 1847-1931.
- Greene, Wm. H. -- (William Houston), -- 1853-1918.
- Hale, George Ellery, -- 1868-1938.
- Jackson, Dugald C. -- (Dugald Caleb), -- 1865-1951.
- Jeans, James, -- 1877-1946.
- Keen, William W. -- (William Williams), -- 1837-1932.
- Kennelly, Arthur E. -- (Arthur Edwin), -- 1861-1939.
- Langmuir, Irving, -- 1881-1957.
- Mallinckrodt, Edward, -- 1845-1925.
- Martin, Thomas Commerford, -- 1856-1924.
- Mendenhall, Thomas Corwin.
- Miller, Dayton Clarence, -- 1866-1941.
- Mottelay, Paul Fleury, -- 1841-
- Pickering, William H. -- (William Henry), -- 1858-
- Shapley, Harlow, -- 1885-1972.
- Steinmetz, Charles Proteus, -- 1865-1923.
- Todd, David P. -- (David Peck), -- 1855-1939.
- Whitney, Willis Rodney, -- 1868-1958.
- Woodbury, David O. -- (David Oakes), -- 1896-1981.
- American Institute of Electrical Engineers.
- Edison Electric Company.
- General Electric Company.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Electric currents, Alternating.
- Electrical engineering.
- Electric meters.
- Electric motors, Repulsion-induction.
- Electric power systems.
- Electric transformers.
- Electric welding.
- Albrecht, Emil P.
- Albrecht, Florence C.
- Ayrton, William E.
- Coffin, Charles A.
- Crompton, Robert E.
- Cutter, George Washington, -- 1801-1865.
- De Forest, Lee, -- 1873-1961.
- Dercum, Francis X., -- 1856-1931.
- Dunn, Gano, -- 1870-1953.
- Fleming, John Adam, -- 1877-1956.
- Hewitt, George Wattson.
- Jeffcott, H. H.
- Johnson, Alba Boardman, -- 1858-1935.
- Littow, J. J.
- Lovejoy, Jesse Robert, -- 1863-1945.
- Meadowcroft, William Henry, -- 1853-1937.
- Morgan, Charles, -- Sir.
- Pratt, Joseph Hyde, -- 1870-1942.
- Pritchett, Henry Smith, -- 1857-1939.
- Riche, George W.
- Schuppmann, L.
- Snyder, Monroe Benjamin, -- 1848-1932.
- Spooner, Henry Joshua, -- 1839-1918.
- Stockley, George.
- Stratton, Samuel Wesley, -- 1861-1931.
- Stuart, George, -- 1843-1943.
- Thomson, Silvanus P.
- International Electrical Congress.
- Thomson-Houston Electric Company.